SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlville_gw

Brainstorming a Breakfast Hutch

girlville
12 years ago

For some time I have been considering revamping a hutch that I purchased on kijiji. I had hoped to use the holidays as an incentive to get moving, but I'll admit I was completely delusional. We moved into a new house in late November and it was all I could do to have it mildly organized, and then host, host, host, forget anything else.

As the hutch stands now I painted it white shortly after buying it. And not long ago found these perfectly

sized leaded glass windows to replace the existing country framed door style (only one has been affixed)

I also bought 2 small wine fridges (currently still unfitted) that slotted quite nicely into the piece.

I had originally intended to put the kids juice boxes and sippy cups in there so that they wouldn't constantly be in the main fridge. All those plans were until one day while browsing the House Beautiful site I had an epiphany. They showed a home and the owners had a breakfast hutch with "everything they need for breakfast". My hutch would suit that purpose well i think. So now courtesy of this inspiration pic:

I am considering making more of the upper portion. Bulking it up along the edges, adding a grander crown, adding plate holder slats, or pegs for mugs or an extra shelf and finally mounting it on the wall for more prescence and height. To that end I purchased some really beefy reclaimed corbels that i wanted to add as decorative supports.

So I would love some advice on what you would put in a breakfast hutch to make it actually functional for a breakfast. And how far I should go? A continental breakfast? The makings for a full hot breakfast? All the dishes and mugs? Which appliances? Another consideration is that my new kitchen is also white. I'm considering repainting the hutch a colour for impact or at least a bit of distinction. Would black be too contrasty? What colour would you paint it or would you leave it be? And also would you wall mount it?

Comments (4)