SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Need honest feedback re: converting WD area to built-in hutch

texasgal47
11 years ago

I posted this question on kitchens forum, but they want photos which I can't provide at this time. The reno of my small kitchen is 95% completed. An enclosed W/D are part of the breakfast area. The front of a side by side W/D face the breakfast table when the 4 louvered doors are opened. The door opening is 5 ft. wide and standard door height surrounded by a regular door frame. The W/D enclosure is 5'7" wide x 3' deep x 8' high. This means that the ceiling inside the enclosure is 14" above the door frame which gives an enclosed look with the doors open. Height of the W/D on the surface top is the same as my kitchen counter. I'm considering removal of the louvered doors and disguising the W/D to look like lower cabinets, then install 15" deep wall cabinets to go above. (A location is needed for a microwave so the added depth would be perfect.) Either regular or louvered doors would be in front of the W/D with a dark stained wood counter. The left side of the counter would flip up on a side hinge for access to the top loading washer. I'm planning for easy disassembly of the lower portion for maintenance or repairs and will allow for ventilation. There are three questions:
1. Do you think the ceiling should be lowered inside the enclosure to give a less enclosed look? This would mean that 30" high wall cabinets would meet the ceiling.
2. I would like to leave the door frame in the event the doors would be rehung in the future. Do you think this set-up (door frames as well as this entire idea) would look "hokey," or do you think I just might be able to pull it off from an aesthetics angle? I haven't spoken with my cabinet guy yet re: build specifics. Concealing the top controls is another issue that would have to be addressed. There are plenty of photos on houzz of concealed W/D but none within a door framed area. I also love the added openness this would give to my kitchen/breakfast area. I'm an empty nester, and only wash about once a week so frequent access and noise shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Comments (11)