SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktink_gw

Layout Feedback Wanted! And Wine!

ktink
13 years ago

Hello all -

After lurking here for years, DH and I have finally decided to embark on a major kitchen renovation/addition. We're expecting to spend around 100k. (Just typing that number makes me want to reach for a glass of wine....)

At the bottom of this post is the plan we tentatively have decided on. I'd love to hear some feedback from the layout experts here. Mostly I want to make sure the kitchen itself is laid out properly. As far as the other areas to be renovated/repurposed such as the study & laundry room - comments on those are welcomed too but we have a bit less flexibility to change those.

A little info about the plan:

The room labeled Laundry is where our current kitchen is now and the room labeled Study is where our current breakfast area is now. The wall between them does not exist currently and would be added.

The door leading to the breezeway is the primary entry into the house by family. It can not be moved.

2 items that are incorrect on the plan:

The prep sink should be at the other end of the island and the desk area should be next to the microwave/wall oven instead of next to the fridge. (The desk area simply would be a section of counter with no cabinets below so a stool could slide underneath - just a spot to sit and work at my laptop.)

Goals:

Eliminate traffic flow through kitchen

Increase counter space

Add good venting over range

Open up kitchen to formal dining room making it the main eating area to be used everyday

Island (one level) with seating for at least 4

Family:

4 young children (ages 8,8,8 & 7), DH and me. Plus my parents live nearby and have dinner with us approx. 3 nights a week.

Number of cooks:

Just me but I sometimes have another person helping with clean up. Currently it seems there is always someone in my way trying to get into a cabinet, fridge, or trash can. I cook a lot but I'm not much of a baker.

How is kitchen used:

Cooking/cleaning up. Kids also do homework there usually while I'm cooking/prepping. Informal entertaining. I like other people in the kitchen with me keeping me company but I hate it when they get in my way.

Major Appliances:

30" range (This is our existing range and we must keep it for now. If possible, I would like the cabinet design to allow for a 36" range to be easily retrofitted when our current range needs to be replaced)

24" Dishwasher (This is our existing dishwasher and we must keep it)

Microwave (trashing our old one and will purchase something new)

Refrigerator (Optimistically labeled Subzero by contractor. Would love a built-in if we can swing it.)

Ventilation hood (will purchase new. Would like it to be able to accommodate a 36" range in the future )

Single wall oven

Can't live without:

Double sink

Island with seating for 4

Ventilation hood

good spice storage

Definitely don't want:

Traffic pattern that goes through main work area (got to get rid of this!)

Over range microwave

Range in island

Trash under sink

Thanks in advance for your input!

Kelly

{{gwi:1973023}}

Comments (24)