SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scgirl816

Creative minds needed to help me brainstorm for mini-remodel!

scgirl816
15 years ago

Hi, I've been lurking on the kitchen forum for a couple of days now, reading everything I can find that applies. :) Having lots of fun here! You guys are so creative! Beautiful kitchens.

Was wondering if I could get some help brainstorming for our upcoming mini-remodel? We're not spending a lot of money, but we want to do things that will really make a difference.

We have countertops being made right now...will install in the next 3 weeks. We picked Wilsonart Bella Noche laminate. http://www.wilsonart.co.uk/images/site/resopal%20decors/1820-35%20bella%20noche.jpg

Next my husband is going to install a tile backsplash. We've picked the tile and the accent, but I am having a hard time seeing it in my mind's eye. There are pictures of the tile and accent pieces in my Flickr account here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11205209@N03/?saved=1

There are also before pics there and the texture I applied to the walls, a new light fixture, new blinds, and new paint on the spindles (or whatever they are called!).

We plan on cutting the tile accent pieces to include only four rows. Tile across the bottom of the backsplash, then above it 4 rows of the glass, then above that the same 4" tile on a diagonal.

Next, the cabinets have to be painted. I'm going to do this myself and have gotten fabulous tips off this board. We can't afford to have them replaced or refaced. I'm stuck on whether it should be a white or off white or even a different color altogether. All of our appliances are black, so not sure if this will be too much of a difference?

The paint color on the walls has to be changed anyway because dh doesn't like the gloss, so the color can also be changed. The living room looks in on the kitchen and is in blues and greens, so I was trying to keep the kitchen neutral and throw in some accent colors later, but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I am open to suggestions!

Also, not sure about what to put above the stove for accent. I was going to run the glass horizontal line all the way across, but we've decided not to put in a spacesaver microwave, so I need something above the stove and have no idea how to go about choosing something like that.

Hardware will be changed on the cabinets to brushed nickel knobs.

Sink is going to be black granite composite. Faucet will be brushed nickel.

Now, a couple of extra thoughts after I have been peeking at your pics! Is there a way to redo the bottom of the cabinets so that the shoe molding (or baseboard) is flush with the bottom of the cabinets and not indented like in my current pics? Also, do you think it would be worth it to knock out the wall above the cabinets and put up some crown molding on the cabinet tops?

I know this sounds disjointed and confused...and I am!!! I would appreciate any guidance you guys could give!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of before and then after a few updates

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH