SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bri29_gw

From Julie and Julia to Food Network...

bri29
14 years ago

I just read an interesting article by Michael Pollan in the NYTimes called Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch. It just seemed like a good tie-in between a couple of the threads we've had going lately. He starts out talking about Julia Child and moves to commercialization, fast food, celebri-chefs and the like.

At one point in the article it's asked if anyone knew someone who caught, killed, and plucked their own chickens for dinner. I almost raised my hand, because I know many people on this forum are that closely involved with their food! It's sad that this would be considered "crazy" by so many. Thank God for people like you CFers!

One of my favorite parts was a quote from Mario Batali that seems to sum up the Food Network pretty well...

"Look, itÂs TV! Everyone has to fall into a niche. IÂm the Italian guy. EmerilÂs the exuberant New Orleans guy with the big eyebrows who yells a lot. BobbyÂs the grilling guy. Rachael Ray is the cheerleader-type girl who makes things at home the way a regular person would. GiadaÂs the beautiful girl with the nice rack who does simple Italian food. As silly as the whole Food Network is, it gives us all a soapbox to talk about the things we care about."

It's a pretty long article, but I thought my CF buddies may enjoy it if you haven't already seen it.

Bri

Here is a link that might be useful: Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch

Comments (5)