SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

The term 'poop chute' & the food network

sooz
13 years ago

During the filming of the next food network star, the episode where the contestants were in the Iron Chef kitchen, one of the contestants said something about cleaning the shrimp and used the term "poop chute."

Alton Brown looked her straight in the eye and with glacier tones in his voice, he said something like "We don't say poop on the Food

Network." Brrrrr, Alton!!!!!

To my way of thinking, the sand vein is a nice way of saying alimentary canal (colon, intestine etc), which is --no matter how cute you say it--the poop chute. Yuppers, the black particles in the *sand vein* are the shrimp's poop.

A couple of days ago, I caught Anne Burrell's show (okay, she is definitely not my favorite but it was either watch her or watch Swamp People) and she used the word "crap" twice--not meaning fecal matter, but something like burn the crap out of the peppers so you can peel them.

So now I'm thinking maybe you can say crap and maybe even poop if it doesn't mean fecal matter and if you're a respected chef but not a competitor??

Oh, and while I'm at it, what's with Alton Brown always having a lot of "um" and "uh" words when he's talking? It's very distracting to listen to him frequently using those filler words. Does he have a diagnosed "cluttering" speech problem?

I took a quick baseline (yeah, you can take the teacher out of the classroom, ha ha) and for one minute of his speaking on Good Eats, he did the cluttering three times. VERY distracting to me as a listener. I'd figure someone on TV would be able to read the teleprompter more smoothly and that would eliminate all the ums and uhs.

This post sure took a left turn, didn't it?? Ah, well, it's all good!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (41)