SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muffinqueen

Duncan Phyfe Table--to buy or not to buy

muffinqueen
12 years ago

We just finished a total kitchen reno, and part of the master plan was to buy a larger table for our 16 foot-long dining room. Since the holidays are over, I was in no hurry and was willing to wait weeks or even months to find the right thing. Over New Year's I went in our local furniture consignment shop and found nothing to fit our needs, but the lady took my info and said she would keep an eye out. Yesterday, she calls and says she's found my table. Suuuuure, I said. But I went in today to take a look, and I am sorely tempted. It is a Duncan Phyfe style rectangle with rounded corners, veneer top, double pedestals w/ leaf decoration, gold claw feet and casters. It extends to just a hair under 10 feet long. Bad stuff: a few nicks around the ehges a couple of minor gouges to the veneer. The worst part is evidence that one of the legs came completely off at some point and some idiot bolted it back on with ugly, shiny metal clamps. It look like it was a clean break, and a good woodworker could probably fix it. The table, as is, is $325, and they are willing to use their woodworker to fix the problems (at additional cost, of course.) After looking on ebay, I am convinced that is is a good deal, even with the needed repairs, but I am open to your comments. I don't have a picture, but if you look on ebay under "Duncan Phyfe banquet table" you'll get the idea. I still can't believe she found it that fast...

Comments (35)