SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Wine and Cheese in Traverse City

annie1992
15 years ago

I played hooky from work last week and elery and I took a ride north to Traverse City, just to spend a day by ourselves.

We headed up along the Leelanau Peninsula:

and stopped here, but not in time for the cooking classes.

Since we couldn't get a cooking class, we decided to go next door:

I had the "premium" tasting, two wines for $5. Elery went with the 5 tastes for $3. I started with the raspberry, which they serve with a few chunks of dark chocolate. It was yummy, but that A Capella Ice Wine is still my favorite. Somehow I'm sure I'll never pay $92.50 for a bottle of it, but I'll pay $2.50 for a small glass, LOL:

BlackStar Farms also makes raclette cheese, it's won The American Cheese Society's Best of Show a year or two ago and now it's gotten so popular that it's hard to get anywhere except right at its origin. They can't make it fast enough to keep the cases stocked, even local stores can't get it.

We bought a couple of pounds and put some in the freezer because Elery loves the stuff and we can't get it anywhere else

Their wines have won a bunch of awards too:

Elery really liked the Late Harvest Riesling, and so we bought a bottle and started back south. We didn't get very far before we found another winery, Leelanau Cellars. They have a very cool bar area:

Their wines have also won a lot of awards:

Elery bought this bottle for my mother, she likes dry wines. I didn't like it very much, but I'm sure she won't offer to share, LOL:

We started the wine tasting there, 5 tastes for $5, but I'd had a couple of cups of Gevalia coffee the boss had given me, it upset her stomach. Funny, it tasted good but it upset my stomach too. Add the raspberry wine, some dark chocolate, and the ice wine and I wasn't feeling very well all of a sudden. We decided to go back into Traverse City and have some lunch.

Downtown is the traditional "tourist trap" full of chain restaurants and "cute little shops", like this one:

We stopped for lunch here, a local microbrewery:

I had a cup of tea to try to soothe my cranky tummy, Elery had some kid of dark beer that he said tasted vaguely of coffee:

We ordered a bowl of chicken tortilla soup and a sandwich with pecan crusted walleye. Elery wasn't very hungry and I didn't feel very well, so we decided to share. He ended up with all of the soup, I'd never had chicken tortilla soup before and I didn't like it, it just tasted like a bowl of tomatoes with some hot peppers in it, certainly nothing special. Elery thought it was good, though.

The walleye was better, although not outstanding. It's hard to do anything bad to walleye, LOL.

Still a bit under the weather, we started home, but first we stopped at the outlet mall. They have a kitchen store, where Elery bought a salad spinner on sale for $4.99 because he's tired of drying salad greens on a towel, LOL, and this mortar and pestle because he thinks mine is too small.

It's that time of year, so there are roadside stands everywhere selling cherries. I bought a bag of sweet cherries before I left town, I actually have a few left but not many.

And yes, those cherries are as good as they look. I'm much happier with the cherries than I ever am with the wine, LOL.

Annie

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH