SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Can I go to bed yet?

lindac
14 years ago

Today was a funeral lunch. The deceased moved 120 miles away in 1993 but her family wanted the funeral here because this was "home". She was 87.

I asked her daughter how many might attend, but she didn't know, maybe 50? Maybe more? maybe 75? I didn't think so, but she said prepare for 65 or so!!

There was to be a visitation in the town 200 miles away on Monday, and visitation here at the church at noon, funeral at 1, then go to the cemetery and back to the church for lunch....I was figuring they would be here about 2:15 to 2:30....very late for lunch!

I arrived at the church at 10:30 and there was someone from out of town wanting to view the body....and a lot of out of town cars lined up outside! Ach!!!...I decided they needed some coffee so they wouldn't sit there and stare at us! So I asked the woman who was helping in the kitchen to make some coffee. She said she hadn't used the Bunn in a while, so I explained the pour water in here and coffee comes out there business and reminded her that you had to have something there to catch the coffee before you pour in the water.

Yep! You guessed it.....3 times! Slow learner!

Finally got coffee made and the mess cleaned up and the old couple viewed the body and were sitting there drinking coffee and eating cookies and more came for coffee and cookies....and we were making pasta salad and cutting up fruit and making chicken salad sandwiches.....and I went upstairs to check the crowd! I counted about 75 maybe a few more!!!

So we made more sandwiches and put the other half of the watermelon in the fruit salad, and the service was over!!!...In 20 minutes!! And more than half the crowd didn't go to the cemetery and came down for lunch ( it was 1:30 by then....couldn't blame them!)

So we hustled the food onto the table and they started eating and we were making coffee and iced tea like mad....and plating cookies.

Anyhow, for the record, 6 pounds of chicken made into salad will make about 60 small sandwiches, and with 3 pounds of ham and 2 pounds of cheese for sandwiches, that's enough for 78!

And a medium watermelon, one cantalope, one honeydew, 10 peaches 2 pounds of strawberries and 3 pounds of grapes and a pint of blueberries is more than enough for a fruit salad for 78.

So....back to my question....can I go to bed yet??

Linda C

Comments (6)