SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daryle_gw

Whirlpool Duet WFW9550 twists clothing and other disappointments.

daryle
14 years ago

So newbie to the forum here. I registered because (A) this seems to be one of the more active forums on laundry, washers, etc. and (B) I just have to find out if I'm the only one seeing this very annoying effect.

Some background: I am *not* new to front load washers. I think it must be close to a decade ago I got a Kenmore 970-C40052 which was around a 3 cu ft. It has performed virtually flawlessly and the only reason we upgraded was to get a bigger capacity and something new since odds were after almost 10 years something was going to go that might not be all that economical to repair.

So after shopping around the 4.4 cu ft Whirlpool looked like a pretty good deal and we bought the steam washer and matching non-steam dryer.

Almost immediately there were problems:

-Every load with something smaller (underwear, socks, napkins) something was getting stuck in the gasket. This last happened years ago with baby socks in the Kenmore. So repair called and they think something is malformed so are installing a new one. Strike one.

-The dryer thumps rather loudly every revolution, even when warmed up. So either bad drum seam or rollers (probably the former). Repair called and agree but are trying rollers first. Strike two.

-Capacity increase very disappointing. I knew the numbers were a bit deceptive but this is really bad. Since I still have the old one off to the side I compared and I only get a couple pair of pants and medium towel more in the new Whirlpool. Strike three.

-Fabric softener siphons out very easily before anything started but then often does not siphon out completely at end of cycle. Strike four.

-At least a third of my loads so far have failed to spin completely dry probably due to machine not getting a balance or being too sensitive to imbalance. I then have to do a spin only cycle which seems to work. This happen only a couple times a year with the old Kenmore. Strike five.

-Dryer sensing sucks. Half the time a normal dry still leaves a few damp clothes. Strike six.

-And, WORST of all the washer twists clothes up terribly, particularly pant legs and shirt arms, compared to the Kenmore. There is also noticeably worse tangling. I am going to hook back up the old washer this weekend to confirm but I think it is a design defect due to a combination of the tilted drum and asymmetrical blades. I believe the blades are shaped that way to compensate for the drum tilt. I think the idea is they push the load a bit back towards the front of the drum as the laundry rolls off the blade which is higher towards the back. In any event it is my theory that this also imparts a rolling or twisting motion to the laundry which translates to a severe twist in longer articles of clothing. I'm not sure if all tilt drums have this issue. Strike seven.

So anyone else seeing any of this? Particularly the last effect? I am *not* going to accept having to iron jeans and not being able to damp hang my wrinkle resistant shirts! If I prove this with my test loads in the old machine these lemons are going back for sure.

Comments (10)