SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bert76_gw

Laundry remodel on 2nd floor

bert76
15 years ago

Hello, all. It's been some time since I've been on the site. My stacked GE FLs were working great ... until we decided to move to a new (old) house.

By way of background, the laundry area in the new house is at the top of the stairs on the top floor (there's a finished basement, main floor and the top floor). Currently the washer and dryer reside unstacked in two strange cutouts in the wall, set up about a foot higher than the floor, making for makeshift pedestals. This setup was constructed in the early 1980s, based on the color of the sheet vinyl under the washer and dryer. I've heard from the neighbors the previous owner had back problems.

The floors of the makeshift pedestals are so unstable that no matter how many times we make sure the washer is level (checking at all four corners), the washer shakes the entire house if we let it spin at medium or high speed. My brother-in-law actually thought it was a low-flying helicopter when he visited!

So I've finally convinced my husband to let me remodel the area.

We're going to strip down the entire room to the studs, including removing the makeshift pedestals. I want to make sure my contractor is doing all he can to beef up the floor to temper any future vibration issues. What's the best way to accomplish that?

Also, what can we do to prevent accidental flooding beyond wire mesh hoses? We're in a rural area so building codes aren't too strict.

Thanks so much if you've read this far ...

Bert

Comments (3)