SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

What do you think about this framed photo's matting?

pammyfay
13 years ago

I bought a great print showing Chicago's fireworks from this photographer a few years ago. At the time, I had a thing for black wood frames paired with white mats. Now that I look at what I have, the white mat isn't thrilling me any more (and the frame I have is much too big--I really wish the woman at the framing store, vs framing shop, had guided me better on that, because I have an 11x14 photo in a 20x26 frame. What were both of us thinking? LOL!).

The link shows how the photographer matted and framed his work. He's using a gray mat and an inner deep-blue mat.

What are your thoughts about that? What other options can you think of that won't detract from the photo? I looked at a "floater" frame, just not sure it'd work with my light-blue walls.

The gray is certainly a lot easier on the eyes next to all that black in the photo...

(I also have another fireworks shot--this time from D.C.'s--next to it. That photo shows a lot of the marble columns of the Jefferson Memorial in the foreground with fireworks in the background. So hopefully there's a matting option that'd work for both.)

I'll stop by my small local framing shop and talk to them, but I'm really interested to know your opinions first!

Here is a link that might be useful: Horsch Gallery fireworks photo

Comments (4)