SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

What do you think about this coffee table?

Robbi D.
15 years ago

I found this on CL, but I'm afraid it's a little busy for my couch. It's also a little shorter than I was hoping for (47" long, 20" wide, 16" high). Also, they're asking $100. What do you think?

Here's the couch:

{{!gwi}}

And here's a few views of the table:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (40)

• Oakley
    15 years ago

I love it!

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

I like the way the oval works with your sofa. The gold legs are a bit over the top...how would you feel about painting them a rich glossy chocolate brown (BMoore's Bittersweet Chocolate comes to mind), or if you are feeling adventurous, a rich neutralized blue with a hint of turquoise? (I see that their seems to be a bit of blue in the stone.)

• Related Discussions

What do you think of coffee in a pepper sauce?

Q

Comments (8)
    Habanero Gold Jelly recipe uses dried apricots so the flavor definitely works. Not sure about coffee or cantaloupe. You could try some small samples - make sure to keep them in fridge or freezer after fermenting since there's no way to tell if it's acid enough to can (Hab Gold recipe has been tested, it has vinegar for acidity and also plenty of sugar and pectin to reduce the water activity so it's safe, but not what you want in a sauce). I think I posted a fermented pepper/garlic recipe on one of these threads - not sure how much fruit to add. And the mash had to be kept in the fridge though if you thin it out with vinegar I think it could be shelf-stable (as mostly vinegar). Haven't gotten enough ripe peppers to try it yet, hope in a couple of weeks - I have tons of green pods!
    ...See More

What do you think about glass tables?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have a glass dining rom table as well as a coffe table. It takes up much less visual space than dark wood, making your room feel more open. I keep a table cloth on my dining room table when not using it for parties. It keeps the dist off and keeps the table clean. I did not do that for years and cleaning it was not an issue. Now I have two cats that like to walk on it and the cloth keeps the cleaning to a minimum. You do have to clean both sides of the glass. Table glass is usually pretty thick and breakage has never bene an issue for me.
    ...See More

MSG - What do you think about this? Long

Q

Comments (7)
    MSG is bad. And it has not been used for centuries anywhere. It was lab-developed in 1907. There are natural glutamates and there is monosodium glutamate. I started looking into it a while back because I do experience bad effects from eating it - especially in hot liquid form (Chinese restaurant soups, for example). Manufacturers are hiding it now - look for: "Monosodium glutamate is one of several forms of free glutamate used in foods. Free glutamate can also be present in a wide variety of other additives, including hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, any one of which may appear as "spices" or "natural flavorings." The food additives disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate are usually used along with with monosodium glutamate-containing ingredients, and provide a likely indicator of the presence of monosodium glutamate in a product [6]. For this reason, the FDA considers labels such as "No MSG" or "No Added MSG" to be misleading if the food contains ingredients that are sources of free glutamate, such as hydrolyzed protein.[6] In 1993, FDA proposed adding the phrase "(contains glutamate)" to the common or usual names of certain protein hydrolysates that contain substantial amounts of glutamate.[6] For example, if the proposal were adopted, hydrolyzed soy protein would have to be declared on food labels as "hydrolyzed soy protein (contains glutamate)."[citation needed]" It has been accepted and infused into our manufactured food processes for a long time, just as high-fructose corn syrup is prevalent now. Both the above are prevalent in commercial pet foods as well. They are both unnatural substances touted as natural (because they are made/isolated/tweaked from natural substances) and safe. You can find all kinds of info on it on the web now, so go for it. It's another reason not to eat processed foods if possible. And who knows what additive they'll lab-create next and how it will affect us.
    ...See More

OT....What do your coffee table books say about you?

Q

Comments (18)
    I would like to make it clear that the reason I don't have a coffee table is because of lack of space! I have gone for a nest of tables in my small sitting area. I used to have a lovely glass topped one which was given to me when I lived in the UK but I had to leave it behind when I moved back to Australia. I used it for pot plants and put it where it would catch the sun,,,so still no books on it! Woodnymph, you could be right about the glue. The worst dog damage I had was when one of my deerhounds decided to tear open a couch to make a nest of the filling to give birth!
    ...See More
  • les917
    15 years ago

I vote no - strongly.

You have enough going on with the couch and the rug - in a very casual room and a small area. Let the couch be the star, and keep the table simple, preferably with simple legs and a lot of glass to kind of disappear.

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you guys. It's a beautiful table, but I was afraid it was to busy. Les, you confirmed what I was thinking, too. I'm not good with mixing patterns, so I had to ask.

• gailee
    15 years ago

I like the coffee table, with the couch, the throw rug belongs in a a rustic atmosphere . it is too busy with the rug. Gailee

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think that table would be taking your room in a different direction. The stones would not play nice with your fireplace. And I think $100 is much too much on CL for a coffee table.

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cooper, I hadn't thought about the fireplace! You're right about those two not mixing. Thanks, guys!!

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I agree - this isn't the table for you.

The sofa has lines that are reminiscent of pieces found in an old west parlor, and I think your rug works beautifully with it. (Although I realize you didn't ask for opinions on the rug. ;-))

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I think the table would go. I don't see the rug going with the rug or the sofa. Too rustic, as someone else mentioned.

• senko
    15 years ago

No to the coffe table. But also no to the rug: It belong to a small area or bedroom. The scale of it does not complement the scale of the sofa. You need large solid color area rug where all the legs of the sofa sits on the rug, and a very simple table with glass top. Oval will look good.

• simpletaste
    15 years ago

I vote for something simpler, glass top, larger than the coffee table in the photo. Or on second thought two round ottomans might look interesting too

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I like the oval shape for your sofa but this coffee table is a bit too much.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I love that table! the top is so interesting, is it one slab or pieced together, stone or maybe petrified wood? I wonder if the top alone isn't worth far more than $100? What material are the legs? Is it near by to see in person and feel how well it is made? I would have trouble passing, and would have someplace to use. Ok, I'll go get it......

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

I am another no on the table. I think it would be a yes but I think with the rug it is simply too busy.

I like the top but not a fan of the gold tone that it holds but that is nothing a little paint can't adjust.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

I'm with bodica, if that tabletop is inlaid slabs of petrified wood as it appears to be it is worth much more than $100. It is a very unique piece and if you like it I think you should buy it and at least try it in the room. Since you do seem to like it I'm sure you can find a place for it and you may always regret not doing so.

Your decor is so wonderfully unique I'm sure many don't get it. You obviously don't follow the current rules of decorating but there is nothing wrong with that. I love your style and think the rug is fine in that room. Very refreshing to see this type of decor. Wish more people would follow their heart as you have.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Your decor is so wonderfully unique I'm sure many don't get it. You obviously don't follow the current rules of decorating but there is nothing wrong with that. I love your style and think the rug is fine in that room. Very refreshing to see this type of decor. Wish more people would follow their heart as you have.

Absolutely! And perhaps I'm just feeling particularly grouchy today, but it does bother me somewhat that the rug is being criticised, when she didn't say, "How's this rug?" or "Please critique my room!" She only asked about the coffee table. Then again, perhaps the comments made here won't bother her, since she's obviously secure enough to put together a unique and eclectic space ...
    ;-)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

LOVE the couch. So much so that I'm gonna show this to Hubby as I think something like that would be perfect for our (planned) great room.

So I love the table (minus the gold), like the rug, love the couch but not the three together.

• love2decorate
    15 years ago

Am I mistaken in my observation that this decorating forum is turning into a private club for some members. Some people appear to use this forum to showcase themselves by telling forum members they are not suppose to comment on the decor posted here. I believe the other day a thread was in question because the OP (Reno somebody) didn't want people to critique her decor, just tell her how lovely it looked, when in fact some people did not and were trying to be helpful and tell her what would look better. She became rude and obnoxious and insulting.

Now today this thread has taken on the same topic yet it's another forum member (auntjen) who is just "grouchy" so she apparently thinks it's her duty to say she does not think other posters should voice their opinion on OP's thread. What? Are these the new rules by GW? Who are these people that think this forum is their personal forum and they can tell other members who and what to post.

I believe these people who are being rude, obnoxious and blame it on their personal life, should be reminded they are not to come to this forum and insult others because they are in a bad mood. There is no reason for being rude to anyone here, yet these few forum members manage to do it regularly.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Thank you Luckygal and AuntJen, I deeply agree! The rug is perfect in her fabulous home, and so is that table, I love the unique and beautiful pieces they have selected. Their children are sooo soo lucky, bet they are allowed to color outside the lines in any color they love and will grow up to be genius in creativity! Any do you know of the Hawawian "Paniolo" style, which is like cowboy later in America. No I said that wrong, the Paniolo were the first to drive cattle down from the lush pastures on to ships to sell around the world. The American "cowboy" came later. The Parker Ranch was very rich and "old west parlor" except in Hawaii was my first impression seeing the room on another thread. I even like the table with the fireplace because it repeats the shapes of the stones a bit more colorfully. It also works with her paintings. I'd so love to see this whole house because everything lafonda has shared with us has been so exciting and fabulous. We must all remember when asked it is their home not ours and our advise is hopefully what we think works there, we are not here to persuade our home style on others.
    Lafonda, so far I think you instincts are excellent!

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Wow. How did I "insult" anyone? Sounds like some pot is calling kettle ...

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

These are my statements:

The sofa has lines that are reminiscent of pieces found in an old west parlor, and I think your rug works beautifully with it. (Although I realize you didn't ask for opinions on the rug. ;-))

Absolutely! And perhaps I'm just feeling particularly grouchy today, but it does bother me somewhat that the rug is being criticised, when she didn't say, "How's this rug?" or "Please critique my room!" She only asked about the coffee table. Then again, perhaps the comments made here won't bother her, since she's obviously secure enough to put together a unique and eclectic space ...
    ;-)

If anyone finds these rude or obnoxious, then may I suggest you bulk up on skin supplements? Obviously, yours is much too thin.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

LOL Jen well put :)

Loves...if you visit a friends home and they say "I'm thinking of getting this coffee table for the library...what do you think?" Do you respond with "That sofa does not match the carpet" or do you speak to the table as asked? If you speak to the table issue, that's polite. If you speak to the rug and sofa issue and weren't asked about it in the first place, that would be rude to your friend wouldn't it?

I think that's what Jen is trying to say and probably what Reno said as well. Posting a picture isn't an automatic request to have your entire decor ripped apart. It might just be about a table!

So OP, wheres that sofa from? I'm thinking something similar might be fun to consider in the victorian (smaller though, to sit in a tower). I wonder if the manufacturer does smaller pieces?

And, I really have to agree, a lovely oval table...in glass would be a much better compliment and lighten up the room well without overwhelming visably.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

It's a nice coffee table but it competes too much with all you have going on now. Keep the sofa the centerpiece and play down any additions.

• okfarmerswife
    15 years ago

Your inquiry brings me out of long-time lurkerdom. I think, if you like the table, it will look great. As suggested, you might play with the color on the legs but I really see a lot of gold making it's way back into the decorating magazines. I like the uniqueness of all of your decor. I also love the cowhide rug and have one in my very traditional/tuscan living room decor. I have found cowhides easy to work with and are very neutral in style. And they wear like crazy. This brings me to my question for you. I have searched high and low in my local furniture stores for a curved sofa. Would you mind sharing the maker of yours? It's lovely.

• bettymnz4
    15 years ago

I **LOVE** your sofa. I'm a sucker for bullion fringe.

Although it appears from the photos that the table would mimic the curves of your sofa and the colors complement the sofa, I also wonder if it would work with the rug.

If you really like the table, buy it. If it doesn't work with the sofa and rug, is there another spot in your house it may work?

• okfarmerswife
    15 years ago

I just spent a few minutes in PaintShopPro cutting and pasting the table to your sofa photo. Unfortunately, I am not a member of a photo hosting site anymore so can't show it. The colors in the table are perfect with your sofa. Don't know about the scale for sure though. If it were me, I'd see if they'll take $75 for it...you can always resell if you don't like.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I love that table. I think it is perfect for your decorating style. I think $100 is a fair price for it but of course, try to haggle.

I'm not so sure that that table will look good set against that rug, and set between that couch, and that fireplace. All these elements on their own look great and mix well together but it may be too much going on in such a tiny area if you add that table to it.

I would snap up that table and find another spot for it. I would not pass up such a unique table especially one that fits the overall vision you have for the home.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Sorry LaFonda, in advance, but I have to respond to this.

I believe the other day a thread was in question because the OP (Reno somebody) didn't want people to critique her decor, just tell her how lovely it looked, when in fact some people did not and were trying to be helpful and tell her what would look better. She became rude and obnoxious and insulting.

I did NOT become rude and insulting. I simply repeated myself ad nauseum in that other thread that I was simply sharing a bargain find that made my day, and was not in the right "head space" to field everyone's comments and critiques. I most certainly did NOT want to hear how lovely my room was, but was sharing a "score" that made my day, pure and simple. I did NOT ask for advice on how to incorporate it into my home, nor did I ask what everyone's thoughts were about the surrounding decor. After all, if I followed the "advice" of everyone who posted an opinion, I'd run myself in circles. At some point you have to be FINISHED with a room, and not change it based upon people's suggestions that may or may not share your taste, understand how things look in real life, etc.

I'm disgusted by the comments made about me above, and they only prove to show that you truly, truly do NOT understand that not every picture posted or every thread started is an open invitation for a forum free-for-all. Just as in real life, sometimes you just want to bounce things off a group of like minded people (like this thread) and sometimes you just want to share something that made your day. If you honestly don't see the difference (and didn't see the difference in my post) then nothing I say will ever change your mind.

I will say this, though, as far as those "helpful" comments, there are several people here who are brave enough to post photos of their rooms A LOT. I've noticed that some of the loudest critics don't often share their own homes with as much frequency, and simply might not understand how exhausting it can be for everyone here to "dog pile" on a photo, and totally ignore the reason of the post. It's funny how everyone thinks their own opinions are so almighty powerful that they are nothing but "helpful". Again, it reminds me of a bunch of mothers-in-law who can't just notice your new haircut, but also have to tell you that you're pants don't match and the shade of blue you chose for your eyeshadow is a bit too much. She may think she's being helpful, but I guarantee that unless/until you ask for that kind of input, it's anything but.

There. NOW I've gotten rude and obnoxious, as I'm fed up to *here* with people who cannot understand this.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Forgot to add,

Igloo, you nailed it. Loves...if you visit a friends home and they say "I'm thinking of getting this coffee table for the library...what do you think?" Do you respond with "That sofa does not match the carpet" or do you speak to the table as asked? If you speak to the table issue, that's polite. If you speak to the rug and sofa issue and weren't asked about it in the first place, that would be rude to your friend wouldn't it?

I think that's what Jen is trying to say and probably what Reno said as well. Posting a picture isn't an automatic request to have your entire decor ripped apart. It might just be about a table! If we treated each other here like we would in real life, I feel we'd act a bit differently.

For anyone who disagrees, I'll throw this challenge out there; go ahead and start posting photos. Really. See how *you* like it when all of that "helpful" advice comes your way, without people taking into account what you're posting about in the first place.

• camlan
    15 years ago

Mostly, I'm just loving that sofa. I have never seen one like it and I wish I had a room large enough for something like that. Also envious of the imagination that put that rug with it.

My main concern about the table is scale. I'm not sure if it is long enough (wide enough?) to look right in front of that sofa. But if Lafonda could use it elsewhere in her home if she buys it, I'd take the risk and bring it home.

You could almost get away with two smaller coffee tables in front of that couch. And for some reason, my brain keeps putting a high Victorian tea table in there, but as an end table.

It's a lovely room. I want to curl up on that couch with some tea. Only there's no place yet to put the tea cup down.

Lafonda, let us know what you end up doing.

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

I vote YES on that gorgeous table.
    Don't let it slip away - $100????? - a real steal.
    I like it as is.
    The legs pull in the gold from your window treatments and the top is a piece of art and fits in perfectly with your unique and idividual style.

I don't have photoshop but this is a piece of the table with the sofa - it's perfect!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Reno and AuntJen, I can't believe someone was so rude and obnoxious as to include your names in her post!!! You are two of the most helpful, down to earth people plus you're both funny and fun. I'll always be reading your posts.

• parma42
    15 years ago

"For anyone who disagrees, I'll throw this challenge out there; go ahead and start posting photos. Really. See how *you* like it when all of that "helpful" advice comes your way, without people taking into account what you're posting about in the first place."

Had to laugh, Reno. I've been biting my tongue, lately.

Ironically enough, a few of the most egregious critics have become positively 'unglued' when receiving criticism of their own spaces and have even told people to stop.

Glass houses and all.

As for the coffee table. It's a great piece and I'd buy it 'just because'. Try it and move it elsewhere if it doesn't work for you in front of the sofa.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

joanie, glad you did that photoshop. I stil think the table is great with the sofa. I like browny's suggestion to tone down the gold on the legs, but other than that, it's pretty.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Parma, I hear you. I could write volumes more, but won't because it's obvious that it falls on deaf ears.

LaFonda, I totally forgot to add about the table. I personally LOVE the table with your room. I don't think it competes with the fireplace rock at all. It's a coffee table, and will likely have items on it anyway.

Also, I'm a huge fan of juxtaposing rustic and elegant items, and in my opinion that rug with a table like that is absolutely gorgeous. Part of what I love about your decor is that exact juxtaposition. That table looks like it was made for your home with the rustic/elegant thing it has!

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

LaFonda, I love the table. I hope you got it.

Joanna

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

Lafonda - I also love that coffee table for your sofa. If and when you get it, you can then make decisions about which elements in your room do or do not coordinate with it.

What really caught my eye were the two framed pictures against the far wall, presumably waiting to be hung? I did a double-take when I saw them. They look *exactly* like two that we have. We bought the unframed prints in the gift shop of the LaFonda Hotel in Santa Fe, many years ago. They are painted in the style of the Santa Fe School of Indian Art, and are so graceful and lively. The thing is that when I had them framed, I used the *exact* color of your mats and pale, soft blue wooden frames, which are starting to fade now. Have you hung your pictures yet?

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Found this on 1stbid
    {{!gwi}}

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Look what else I found!
    www.1stdibs.com - Heather & Company

• User
    15 years ago

I really like that coffee table and agree you should get it. For something that unique (IMO it is) I think it's worth the $100. If if doesn't work right there maybe you could, as suggested above, use it somewhere else?