SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Torn between two washers and have to decide today!

lkplatow
15 years ago

I'm in the market for a washer but have decided to keep my old dryer. My dryer is a kenmore that matches the old Frigemore frontloaders with the small round door.

I've narrowed my search down to 2 Frigidaire models - the LTF2140 at Lowes (basically the lowest-end front loader they sell) and the Frigidaire Affinity 8000 from a local appliance store. With rebates and price matching it turns out that I can get the Affinity (with a heater) for a mere $70 more than the 2140. Seems like a no-brainer, right? Alas, after studying reviews, consumer reports, posting on this site and others, and the manuals for both washers, I'm more confused than ever.

The Affinity has a sanitary cycle - not sure how much I'd use it, but it would be nice to have. Top spin speed is 1100, compared to 950 on the 2140. The affinity washes have auto temp control, though I'm not clear if they use the heater to maintain that or just mix the incoming water like washers without heaters do. And since I'm sure the energy star ratings and consumer reports testing is done with the cold/cold cycle, I'm wondering how much regular use of the heater will add to my electric bill each month.

Also, the Affinity does not have a true soak cycle, only a 5 minute stain-clean soak that can be added to any cycle. The 2140 has a true 30 minute soak. Soak is one feature that I used often in my old washer and could definitely see myself wishing I had. The Affinity is also rated one notch below the 2940 for cleaning ability in the latest consumer reports (I assume the 2940 is basically the same as the 2140). And finally, long term reliability for the Affinity concerns me - I know that the frigemores do tend to have issues at around 5 years old, but there's no guarantee that upgrading to an affinity would solve that problem.

Finally, the energy star ratings for the affinity are much better than the 2140 - in theory, a good thing, right? But in the manuals, Frigidaire says that the 2140 does 3 rinses with each cycle (with the option of adding a 4th extra rinse). The 2940 only does 2 by default. And there's no mention of rinse numbers for the affinity. I'm wondering if the are achieving that energy start rating by cutting back the number of rinses, which is going to leave me with soapier dirtier clothes, sort of like how the low-water toilets have flushing issues. A few epinions reviews of the affinity have confirmed my fears, stating that they thought their whites were dingier since they bought the affinity....but then other people say their laundery is fine.

Oh, and one more thing that perhaps users here with either washer can clear up - somewhere (of course, I can't find it again!) I read that the 2140 has annoying spin problems, in that if it can't achieve the perfect balance for spin, it will skip the spin entirely and leave you with sopping clothes. Is this true? And do either the 2940 or Affinity have technology built in to solve the problem or at least handle it better (I wouldn't mind a beep to tell me to come rebalance the load myself - that's how my old FisherPaykel behaved).

(Oh, and one tiny petty point - the 2140, with it's basic dials and knobs, looks more matchy-matchy with my current dryer, whereas the shiny chrome trim and fancy buttons on the affinity is going to make my dryer look old and dingy, LOL!)

Thanks for any input. I'm hoping to buy today so I appreciate any comments!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH