SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

FL Washer...Miele, Duet, Epic, Steam?

16 years ago

This is tough...luckily I don't have to make a decision immediately as my current Whirlpool TL is still limping along...

Yes, I want a FL....to be used in basement

Why...

* Cleaner clothes

* Gentler on clothes

* Wash King Size comforter

Want...

* Cold wash not really cold...temperature controlled so optimal temp for dissolving detergents as well as clean clothes...but no so warm that darks/blacks fade and/or wrinkle-resistant & stain-resistant finishes are removed

* Extra rinse(s)

* Be able to just spin (or drain/spin)

* Be able to just rinse & spin

* Heater...willing to "customize" to get it

* Delay start up to 12 hours at least, 18 or 24 better

* HOT water to kill dust mites (DS has severe dust allergy, I less so)

* Pedestal, possibly, so we don't have to bend over too much (tall family)

* Don't care if dryer "matches" (not looking for dryer right now)

* Sounds like I also need a "Clean Washer" cycle

* Would also like to be able to control water temp for any cycle

* It would also be nice to be able to have a "soil sensor" for all cycles rather than assuming a set soil level based on cycle

My choices....

* Whirlpool Duet 9400 or 9600 steam

* Maytag Epic 9700

* Miele 4840

Steam...is there really any advantage to a "steam" washer?

My TL does most of the above (no heater, delay start, steam, or "clean washer") so I don't really want to give up any features I already have...and use!

+++++++++

I have been reading so many threads from the past year and I'm no closer to choosing among the three! It seems a lot of people like each one while others don't like them...and many times the reasons are contradictory!

++++++++

I am going to start a spreadsheet to compare each one this weekend...but I thought I'd ask everyone here what their thoughts were concerning my list of "wants" for their "favorite" washer...i.e, first-hand knowledge rather than advertising hype.

TIA TIA TIA!!! :-)

Comments (7)