SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deborahnj_gw

Photoshop Help - Pretty Please!

deborahnj
16 years ago

If any of your PS experts out there have some time, could you help me with colors for my DR? Let me preface by saying that I downloaded a trial version of the colorcreation software and have spent all morning trying to make it work. The trial version is pretty limited with color selections as well.

I am trying to get a feel for the DR with either red, sage, olive or gold paint. Trust me I know that it is a lot of work so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

{{!gwi}}

Here's my version: You gotta give me A for effort!! LOL

{{!gwi}}

Comments (58)

• msrose
    16 years ago

I gotta admit, I'm loving that red! I think the hard thing is going to be finding a color of red or gold that blends with the curtains. I'm not really feeling the green. sorry.

Laurie

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie, I appreciate your input. I need honest feedback right now so no need to apologize. My DH just took a look and he likes the gold and I like the green. LOL However when I look at the red I am experiencing a hmmm moment.

• Related Discussions

Photoshop help for Kitchen, Pretty Please?

Q

Comments (52)
    Thank you!!! We went to the kitchen store yesterday (during a nasty snow storm!) and we looked at a ton of options. I can't tell you how dang difficult it was to figure out which light countertops would look nice with our natural maple cabinets. HOWEVER, the options opened up when we decided to take the plunge and stain our island a darker color. We picked up some stain and I think our favorite is red mahogany. Zodiaq Cygnus Pearl really stands out with that (and stainless steel hardware). I have no idea what we'll do for the rest of the kitchen. We might- just might- think about staining the rest of the kitchen cabinets a shade or two darker but I'm not sold on that. That would be a serious pain in the you-know-what and I doubt dh would go for it. We're also going to change out our undercabinet lighting to something more effective (Xenon pucks). Thanks again for all your input. Hopefully in several months I'll be able to post an updated photo and maybe next year I'll have yet another updated photo with the rest of the kitchen! Astrid
    ...See More

Photoshop help for fireplace pretty please?

Q

Comments (5)
    One vote for the ledgestone. I think it's fun -- makes me think of the Brady Bunch house, which is just right for this 1960s neighborhood. If we go that route, I might look into applying the veneer to the painted brick chimney outside, too, so that it looks like a single form with glass forming around it. Have not priced the veneer, though, so may have some sticker shock there. LOL.
    ...See More

Photoshop Help Please - Painter Thinks We're Crazy

Q

Comments (9)
    Spring: The reason your photos won't work in SW is because the resolution is way too small. With the first picture of the whole house, in order to mask the areas, you need more house & less surroundings in the photo, more like the second photo has. If the resolution were bigger, I could have cropped it down some but it's just too small. So I toyed with colors trying to match the stone. Thats a quartzite type stone and I can see you are trying to match the blue grays in it. I used several different colors some you'll like others not so much but a visual always helps, right? algonquin trail & north creek brown brunswick beige & french beret Chelsea gray & kendall charcoal Livingston Gold & Tyler Taupe Livingston Gold & Lennox Tan Springfield tan & texas leather Sussex Green & Nantucket Gray Tyler Taupe & shaker beige
    ...See More

Can someone please help my curb appeal. Photoshop my ideas please

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Stefny, to post pics you must upload pictures to a place like photobucket..under the picture in photobucket there will be a list of code...copy the one that says html code and come back to garden web and paste it in the box where you type...then click preview...if the picture shows there it will show here. Ps..If I were you I would post this in the garden web forum home decorating..there are quite a few photoshopians there.
    ...See More
  • brutuses
    16 years ago

Your dining room is so pretty. My vote is for the westwood tan. Who makes that paint?

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

The red is striking, but may be to much everywhere. Have you considered red below the chair rail, which appears to line up with the drapes and a lighter gold / tan for above the chair rail?

• dorothy9_gw
    16 years ago

Deb, it will be a beautiful room and you HAVE to paint the ceiling the same color you choose for the walls. When we moved to this TH the dining room walls were Powell Buff with a dark red below the chair rail. The ceiling is "two tiered" and was white with white crown molding and pop corn on these levels. My BIL and I scraped the little pebbles off and he painted this the same as the upper walls. When our next door neighbor came over she said she did not remember that the ceiling was tiered. I think it just all blended in and you did not even notice the molding. I love the way it looks now.

Dorothy

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brutuses, I believe Westwood Tan is BM. Lindybarts did the photoshop work for me and she has the BM viewer.

Interesting point Mago, I was a little afraid of having two colors on the walls because of the wt. You give me something to think about.

Dorothy, I am definitely painting the ceiling the same color as the walls. If you note above with Lindybarts handiwork, I love, love the painted ceiling.

I am really leaning towards the green but I like the gold as well. I really need to get some more fan decks, I think that will help alot.

Again thanks you guys for the encouragement, I am so stoked.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

magothyrivergal and dorothy...that sounds pretty. Here's Powell Buff on Top and the Country Redwood on the bottom

{{!gwi}}

Here is one with a little darker gold on top. Wilmington Tan
    {{!gwi}}

Hathaway Gold all over
    {{!gwi}}

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

I am glad that I am not the only one trying to find the perfect paint color. You would think with all the colors out there it would be easy! LOL

I also have gold drapes in my LR/DR combo and I am trying to find a good paint color too. I find if I try to go with the golds it clashes with the drapes. I am leaning toward EK Wheat which is a subdued color. I have the green chip on the wall too and now that I see your pictures I can see how well it all goes together.

Keep us posted. Oh, and thanks for the info on your other thread about the sheers. I may end up doing those.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Thank you Lindybarts! I really like the Country Redwood on the bottom & Powell puff combo. Ceiling painted the wall color is a must - your mock ups look so pretty. I think matching the paint colors closely to the drapes allow the room to flow and that brings out the green in the upholstery, letting it shine.
    Wish this was my dining room! Your drapes look perfect for the space.

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow!! Mago you were on to something! The gold/red combo looks much nicer than I imagined. Thank you Lindy!

I have to say that I'm glad everyone likes my DR. I always feel like the oddball out because most have dark/darker wood furniture.

Here is the rug we ordered for the DR. Do you think it makes a difference regarding wall color?

{{!gwi}}

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Deborah, your dining room is beautiful. But I will be honest, so far, none of the combinations seem to do it justice! Although I was originally opposed to the red, when I saw it in the photoshop pix, it was the only the "jumped" out to me as well. But I still feel that there's a different way to do this room!

Your drapes are beautiful! Your dining room set is beautiful! But somehow, all the painted treatments seem to overpower or compete with their beauty!

I know you want a change from the old house, which included wallpaper in the DR. But I can't help but feel that this room need some kind of pattern on the walls to balance the beautiful expanse of neutrality created by your dining room set (which I absolutely love!). This could be created from solutions other than wallpaper--perhaps a painted wall with a subtle stencil? I just feel that having flat painted walls with furniture all in one color, and drapes in a very stark two tone, lacks "depth". I think the room needs some "depth" and would love other posters to present ideas to help create that!

• annabellesangels
    16 years ago

deborahnj, I love your dining room! I must ask, where did you get those beautiful drapes?

I am voting for green. I think with that rug all the colors would really pop. Good luck!

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

deborahnj, I LOVE that rug and think it will look wonderful in your dining room.

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teeda and everyone, I absolutely appreciate all of your comments and suggestions so please don't hold back. I actually understand what you mean, I think. I feel like I've got wonderful elements but that "something" whatever "it" is is still missing. I've been thinking that it is the lack of accessories, artwork and lack of wall color. If there are things you guys can point out to me, please do. BTW, the ID that I've been working with sporadically has been trying to help me with accessories as he feels that the room needs something as well.

Annabelle, the drapes are custom made and I worked with the ID and he had them done for me. They are dupioni silk and I want to say the fabric is from either Robert Allen or Fabric-Kut. Price wise they were pretty reasonable.

• kiki_2007
    16 years ago

deborahnj! I love your dining room. It's so chic. I am ga-ga over your dining room chairs and fabric, especially that fabric...so darn chic. The room looks like it came out of a magazine. Way to GO!

I am little jumping in here, but what about wallpaper? You could wallpaper above (or below) the chair rail and the paint the other. I think you could find something that might echo your chair fabric.

Just a thought - take it or leave it, but here's a few images....
    Wallpaper:

Just halfway, above or below chair rail?

Or maybe stripes?

• msrose
    16 years ago

I'm just curious, did your decorator suggest any colors?

Laurie

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kiki, I saw your post in your thread about the wallpaper. I'm trying to be very open as indicated above so I would keep the idea of wallpaper open. Having said that, I had wallpaper in my old home and was trying for something different but who knows! LOL

Msrose, the decorator and I looked at some colors from the SW deck the other night but I didn't really see anything that knocked my socks off. One of the colors he likes is SW Harmonic Tan and I have always been a fan SW Ivoire and Blonde. He is working on recommendations for more colors. I started to play around with the color viewer because I'm such a visual person and it helps me to "see" at least a representation before making a decision.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Hey Deb,
    Glad you are getting assistance!!

If you did the red...I wouldn't do the below the chair rail. Jjam added "faux" wainscotting - If I remember correctly she said it was chair rail that they made boxes on the wall with then painted out the trim color. I want to do that to my DR but I have these dang rounded corners with no trim work on them!!

I love your rug.

Smiles:)

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I just figured out the perspective feature on Photoshop...slapping forehead....duh! So I'm playing with your rug which I love by the way. Here's three of the ideas with your rug in the picture. I kind of like the two toned red and gold but I'm worried it might look too matchy matchy in real life. My second favorite is the golds. As much as I like the wallpaper examples posted, I still think your beautiful drapes should be the focal point. So maybe something more subtle is a better idea on the walls. But I see your getting as many opinions as there are posters. What do YOU and dh like?
    Wilmington Tan and Country Redwood
    {{!gwi}}

Cork
    {{!gwi}}

Olive Branch, sorry the rug is a little blurry in this one
    {{!gwi}}

• karen_76
    16 years ago

I vote green or red. The tan is almost too much neutral for the room (to me).

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Deborahnj,

I would wait until you get the rug in the room to see how it all looks together. I think I like a single color in the room since your beautiful drapes are the two colors. It sortof negates the effect of the drapes to have the walls match with red/gold.

I think a pale gold which would be more neutral would really make the drapes the focal point and the rug the anchor. If you need some gold paint suggestions, I have quite a few I've tried!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi everyone :) I'm late to the party. I saw your request, Deborah, for ps in your other thread a couple days ago and clipped your pic to fiddle with.

Well, now I see your sheers are probably a bright white not the creamy color in the pic. What really made a difference to me when playing, was using a cream colored trim. I also think using an unusual kind of a color would make a chic statement.

Not that I don't like your rug :) but I did remember your original one being kind of an open design maybe and having grays and blacks, or something like that :) So I went looking for something like that too. Something a bit different and more airy or lyrical like your furnishings, and less what we usually call traditional.

I've gone a completely different direction and actually have a ton of other pics to sort through. One that I really like is a warm gray (bit of an amethyst undertone too), picking up on your wood and upholstery fabric. I really liked an amethyst in there too, lol. I think that's the last pic, although you can sort of get a feel for it on the left side by the door. Now that I'm pulling the pics in here, the amethyst doesn't seem to be showing much anymore. May be my eyes re-adjusting!

Hope I'm not going to freak you out :)

{{!gwi}}

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi guys!! I am so overwhelmed! Thanks Johnatemp for encouraging me to ask for PS help and Lindybarts, OM goodness!

So folks as I scrolled down to see Lindy's handiwork, my heart skipped a beat when I saw the rug with the Cork and the Wilmington Tan. Love it! Not as crazy now with the two tone walls with the rug. I'm now starting to have second thoughts about the green.

I think you guys may be onto something. "Seeing" the rug in the room really makes a difference with the various shades of paint. Oh I wish the rug were here now! LOL

All in all, I'm liking the golds so Caroleoh, I would definitely appreciate some paint suggestions.

Lindy, I gotta tell you, you made my day!

The rug BTW way is Momeni and I've been looking for a rug for this room for a year!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Squirrel...that first one with the lighter carpet is soooo...what did you call it...Chic? Love that one alot. I think Deborah may have ordered her rug already though, not sure? It's nice to have a new pair of eyes and another perspective.

I'm agreeing with Deborah about the two tone..I think it's too much of a novelty to try and match the curtains. A more subtle gold or deep tan is still my vote.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'll just post the bunch of snapshots from last night. Before I went accessory shopping to try to bring a little more red/gold upwards. I was trying to get more gold into the green and more green into the gold, lol, maybe hitting both your chords, lol.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I had tried two tones on the wall and it didn't work for me either. I like the simplicity of the furnishings and think they work best on a simple backdrop.

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrelheaven, like Lindybarts, you are an absolute angel. Thank you so much!! Goodness gracious!! I don't know where to begin. LOL! Wow. OK, here goes, I like #'s 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15. As I scrolled down and saw the darker colors, more of what I envision for the room came into focus. You guys definitely set me on the right path. I want a darker color but somehow I always thought it would be a sagey green but I love the darker golds! May I ask what shades you used, particularly for # 11, 12, 13 and 15?

I did order the rug already and originally it was supposed to be here at the end of last month but has been delayed until the end of January.

Otherwise, I like the rug you chose, that is so me.

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are not freaking me out at all! We cross-posted! I know that all you PS experts get bombarded with requests for help so I figured you were busy.

You have an excellent memory. Originally we ordered the below rug for the DR before we settled on the major colors for furniture, wt's etc. I fell in love with it because it was such a nice contrast to the DR furniture. Well when the rug finally arrived several months later, we had changed course and when me and the ID rolled it out in the DR, it did not work at all. We both felt the rug was too cool. Fortunately because of some problems with delivery the vendor took the rug back.

The sheers are more of an off white and I like what you did with the off white trim. OK so now that I had a chance to look at your other PS work, I like the warm gray with the amethyst undertone. I see it up in the right corner near the speaker. I totally get where you are going with the chic vibe. Oy Vey! We could so rock that look in my house. Plus it is Divalicious. LOL I've got to digest all of this but I am glad to have choices.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

lllol. Well, as far as what colors they are, your guess is as good as mine! My line hasn't come out yet :)

Glad you found some ideas in there you like!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh, ok, glad you liked the amethyst tones. I think it's simply divalicious too!! Figured it probably would not fit in overall though, lol.

Now I remember! It ended up being the colors rather than the size that sent it back. Too pink and the green was off! ;) However, I remember it as a light rug! with gray and black in the field and then most of the pattern at the border as above.

I'll try to browse through the fandeck and see where the colors you pointed out might fall.

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, something about the amethyst and the off-white trim created a hmmm moment! You have done so much for me already, I have a SW fan deck so I can try to match the colors.

We tried every which way to make that rug work but it was a no go! If I ever finish my basement, that will be the first thing I buy.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Nice job, Squirrel! I liked #3 and #11 best.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Squirrel, You are so amazing. You did a wonderful job and the rooms look amazing and I am sure Deborahnj will have a better idea what she wants to paint the room now. Thank you.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I loved those two also, Oceanna. And thanks! :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are some more tones and values, since you said you were envisioning darks. I guess they're all still on the smokey side, but I tried to get a bit more vibrancy in there also. I also saturated the curtains a bit more since some of the other pics showed brighter colors than the one I had imported.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Oh hate to be a downer to your divalicious party...ROFL! As much as I like that smokey gray/amethyst color, I think I still like a muted gold or green. The one everyone is calling out is #3 which I love too. It's a good mix of gold and green and seems to pull it all together. Now if Squirrel would just come out with her own paint line, you'd be good to go! ;c)

What direction are you feeling Deborah? Does hubby have any input?

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I also vote for the paint color in Squirrel's #3 virtual that picks up the color in the rug and looks nice with everything in the room.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I really love the wallpaper KiKi put up. It's very cool and chic.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Funny, I'm seeing more blue in these virtuals this morning. Last night they were quite amethyst! I looove it.

She was really liking a deep contrast on the walls. Maybe #3 can go darker?

Hopefully she's playing with some new thoughts over there :)

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all, I just got home from work and have been itching to get here all day! Squirrel, when do you sleep. LOL! Those dark smokey colors look great and once again you have outdone yourself, especially with the last mockup. You see blue but I'm seeing grey and charcoal grey. I actually tried a black and charcoal grey color when I was playing around with the color viewer on Sunday. So now I have a sense of what the DR room would looke like.

So I showed DH your fantastic work and we both agree that we like 11, 12, 14 and 15! I could be wrong but these colors seem to have some green undertone but the dominant color is gold. We like that!

OK, I'm set on golds! I love you guys!!! Now the quest will be to find the right gold.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

deborahnj, after looking over the pictrues again, I like 14 and 15 alot with your furniture and drapes. So many of the pics actually looked wonderful. I don't like gray on the walls.

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lynn, thank you! Squirrel and Lindy and everyone here is amazing. Half the battle with decorating is visualizing and everyone helping each other takes a lot of the stress out decorating. I am so stoked right now.

I need to pop over to your thread to see how you are doing.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I hope someone else can see the amethyst! Now I see it except for maybe the first two pics in the last batch, which still look quite blue to me today. Must be havin' a stroke or something!

I like your choices! I love the bronze-y tones in there, as well as the gold-green mixes. And, yes, I was trying to mix gold and green into the tones since you were both divided between the two :)

I do think the room looks great in an unusual sort of color, with fabulous undertones :)

So .... when does this happen !! ?? :))

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning squirrel! You guys really helped to clear the fog and now I'm so excited to keep this project going. This weekend I'm off to the paint stores to get samples and poster board.I will then do what Caroleoh and post for you guys to see. Before painting the room, I want to wait for the rug to be delivered so that I can see everything "live" and then we will be on our way! To save money, DH and I are going to do this ourselves so when we get to that point, I am going to ask all you GW'ers to send good vibes our way, cuz we haven't painted anything in years. We always hired out but with DS in college, we are back to grassroots!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Can't wait! This will be very interesting and exciting to see unfold :)

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will definitely chart and post my progress. Today I decided to get a little more organized and tighten up my to do list so I'm more focused. I can't wait for saturday to hit the paint stores!! You guys rock!

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Great job Squirrel! I never would have thought of some of those color combinations, yet they look fantastic.

My favorites are 11, 12, and 15. If forced to decide right now, I'd probably say 15.

I love the way the colors tie the rug and WT together. Beautiful room Deborah!

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Teeda! Didn't they do a fantastic job! I tell you if I had an opportunity to do 2 dining rooms with the same qualifications, I would do that ameythst/grey room in a heartbeat! For the chic, divalicious factor.

Lindybarts bringing in the rug really sealed the deal. I know at least for now that the rug is probably going to be perfect.I have to do a tally because I think 11 and 15 have gotten a lot of votes! 12 seems so warm to me.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Deborah, you already have a gorgeous room and I can't wait to see your pictures!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Deb,
    the color on #11 looks very simliar to the BM Mystic Gold I have in my DR. Just thought I 'd let you know to give you a starting place for paint colors.

Keep us updated.
    Smiles:)