SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
empress_gw

Jotul cast iron waffle/pizzelle/krumkake maker

empress
11 years ago

I recently purchased a heavy, cast iron *something* and I am trying to figure out what to make in it. I thought, in my delight at seeing it, that it was a pizzelle maker, but now it seems it is for waffles, but really thin waffles. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

It is stamped on the outside "Jotul No. 6 Product of Norway" on the center of each side. The only information I can find online is Jotul's stoves or sales of vintage items like this. I can't tell from the sales listings what it is for sure, since some call it a waffle maker, some a pizzelle maker, some a krumkake pan, others a crepe press. What I do know for sure is, it weighs more than most of my iron skillets!!! Thank goodness it also has a stand that allows you to simply pivot it in the holder to flip while cooking.

I seasoned it, and this morning tried it out using Lou's pizzelle recipe. I guess it is not a pizzelle maker, because these were not crisp and thin as I think a pizzelle should be. But really, it is very thin for a waffle.

What do I have, and what is the best kind of recipe to use in it?

To help a little, here is a picture of the inside of the device. It's about 7-3/4" across the baking surface and the impressions are about 1/8" deep, so the final product is about 1/4" thick, kinda thin for a waffle, and too thick for a crispy, pizelle-type cookie, I think.

Anybody have one of these or know what I have for sure?

Comments (10)