SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

High-Efficiency top loader: powder or liquid detergent?

topie
13 years ago

Hi everyone, just wondering what people would recommend as far as detergents for a High-Efficiency top loading machine. Which is safer for the machine, liquid or powder?

With our old "knob-style" Kenmore, we always just used regular liquid detergent that was free of dyes and perfumes, such as All 2x Ultra Free & Clear.

For our new High-Efficiency machine (a Maytag Bravo MVWX500X) I got some Tide Free & Gentle HE liquid detergent for High-Efficiency machines. But I'm wondering if maybe a powdered HE detergent may be better than an HE liquid detergent, and cause less detergent build-up in the machine?

I don't know much about powdered Persil but noticed it's recommended frequently on this forum. Does Persil make a "free & clear" formula? Or is it already free and clear anyway? Also thought about Sears Ultra Plus Free of Dyes & Perfumes powdered detergent.

Also, what do people do about pre-treating with an HE machine? Do you rinse out all detergent from the pre-treated stains before washing? With our old machine, I didn't rinse out detergent from the pre-treated stains, and just tossed them in the wash. But am concerned about excess detergent build-up if I don't pre-rinse with this HE machine.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)