SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walkin_yesindeed

going to smack DH (rant, but decor-related, I promise)

walkin_yesindeed
16 years ago

DH and I have a very, very collaborative relationship: only in rare instances do we say to the other person, just go do it, don't consult me. For most things, we're both involved. Whether this is because we're both control freaks who must have our say or because we simply would rather do things communally so we both feel good about them together, not sure... prob. a little of both.

DSs are 3 1/2 and 6, and for years DH and I have been saying, we should really get them a bunk bed. Little house, small rooms... it'd just be a more efficient use of space to have them both together and make DS2's room into a playroom for now. I have been actively looking for bunkbeds -- Craigslist, the classifieds, nearby stores -- for at least a year. DH has done diddley.

So yesterday a classified ad ran, and I checked the beds out this morning. They're not 100% of what we want: they're pine instead of hardwood, and rather than being the standard twin-over-twin they're kind of in a T-shape, with the lower bed coming out perpendicular to the top one. They're slightly rustic in style, more so than most of our furniture. But they can be used as separate beds (i.e. in separate rooms) if desired, and they're super-sturdy, and the frame of the bed contains drawers and shelves, perfect for our cluttered little rooms. And these folks are selling a matching desk, too, which DS1 could really use. All for $250. So to my mind, they're great.

I called DH very excited, and he was cranky, accused me of just being attracted to the bargain, didn't want to go look at them. And honestly, I love the guy, but I just want to thump him on the top of his skull right now. He is constantly the nay-sayer and maximalist (ie, don't settle for most of what you want, wait for the very perfect thing) in our decorating relationship. Sometimes this is good, and he's saved us from making mistakes. But sometimes he's wrong, as in this case (in our little town, we are not going to find his dream of a hardwood, modern-styled, sturdily built bunkbed for less than $1K, probably more than that, and who knows whether the kids will go on liking those beds anyway, so why not spend less money now and be able to be more flexible later?). Also, as his comments today indicate, he can be a serious buzzkill. (: And the implication that I'm more interested in a good deal than in something that's good for the boys -- when I have been rejecting possible bunk bed sets for a long time now -- grrr, how unfair!

Those of you who are spoused or significant-othered, how do you share decor-related decision-making? I am thinking that I need a bit more autonomy in making these decisions, because DH is getting on my nerves...

Comments (28)