SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

What is DH Thinking?

tamar_422
16 years ago

You all know about my SS17. He's been home about a month after a six-month stint in psychiatric/rehab residential treatment. He's doing well, finishing his senior year, and has a very good part-time job that pays $10/hour and will last through the end of the year.

Some of you may remember that about a year ago, following a DUI arrest at age 16, DH bought a new (used) Jeep for SS. He wanted to let son know that he had faith that son would make better choices. Two months later, son is coming home drunk, fighting with stepmom over curfew and other household rules, staying out all night, and announced he didn't like stepmom, and dad had to choose, or he was going to live with mom. He went to live with mom, taking the Jeep with him, but promised to pay some nominal amount for it, like $1,000. DH put the Jeep in son's name, as we didn't want the liability, and three months later, following a cocaine and alcohol binge while mom was away for the weekend, son ends up on pysch ward.

So, now that SS17 is earning his own money, he has started talking about $2,000 stereo systems for the Jeep, $2,500 lift kits, etc. DH told him it really didn't make sense to put that kind of money in the Jeep, as it now has over 100,000 miles (can't figure that one out, since SS only drove it a couple of months before being institutionalized ...), and that son should save some money and buy a nicer car. DH also said, "I will help you," meaning go with and check out different cars. SS is really excited, looking on-line for his next set of wheels, even though he does not have driving priveleges until December 1. It turns out that what son heard was that WE would buy the vehicle, and he could pay us back. Keep in mind, he still owes us money on the Jeep. DH gently corrected son, saying, "I'm not going to be your financier. You have to earn the money for a new car."

Two days later, I hear son ask DH, "How much of a downpayment do I have to come up with?" DH said, "$1,000." I asked DH later, out of earshot, what that was about. He said we are going to finance this new car for son. I am livid, and DH doesn't understand why. He wants son to know we have faith in him and his new, better choices.

Let's see. It smacks too much of like buying a car for a kid who's just racked up a DUI. Son does not NEED a new car right now. He has a car, he has a semester of high school left, and he's not sure what he will be doing come January. DH said, "Well, he'll be working." Apparently, DH hasn't discussed this with son, because son is toying with the idea of going to Africa on a volunteer mission, or going back to the wilderness program treatment center as an unpaid volunteer, both of which I had explained to him he would have to work to fund (his enthusiasm did cool when he realized they wouldn't be all-expense paid trips). Son knows he will have to attend community college for the first two years. It's a matter of finances. We just spent over $100,000 out-of-pocket for his treatment. That was money that would have paid for his tuition. I am more than willing to buy another new (used) car a year from now for son when he starts college. That's when he would actually need it.

I just think it is a bone-headed idea to "finance" a car for son at this point. He's only been home a month, and he is still on "probation" for another week before he will be allowed to spend time away from home outside of school, work and AA meetings. That's another thing - he does not want to attend any more meetings, despite the fact that his home contract calls for 4 per week and finding a sponsor. He doesn't think he needs AA - he's been sober 7 months. Yes, but six of those months he was institionalized, and the other month, he's been on house arrest. He hasn't even experienced "real world reality" in connection with his sobriety. Homecoming is next weekend, and he will be off probation then. His friends are renting a limo and going in a big group. These would be friends he partied with and wants to give a chance to respect his new choices. DH thinks we should allow son to go with, but we will pick him up afterward. No post-dance parties for son. Plus, he can't even drive for another 2-1/2 months!

That reminds me. His home contract with us calls for random drug testing. I guess I should go on-line and order some. Anyone have recommendations?

What is my husband thinking?

Comments (12)