SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intheville

Cable lights vs. track for post and beam construction

intheville
15 years ago

Hello, new to the lighting forum. I have searched this topic and have not found a post with the pros and cons of cable lights vs. track lighting.

New construction house of post and beam construction, there is no space above the ceiling, the "ceiling" is 2x6 SYP that serves as the floor for the upstairs. So any lighting fixtures will need to be wall mounted. there are 14ft 6 x 8 doug fir beams running perpendicular to the 18ft long wall, with 6 x 12 beams dividing the overhead space between each room. In case I'm unclear this is the web address for our home plans w/some pics from the architect

http://www.rosschapin.com/ClientArea/Pages/Swede%20Hill/source/img_0062.htm

The space I'm concerned about lighting is a living room, 13,6" x 18, dining room and and kitchen 12 x 14.

I like the look of cable lights, that they are unobtrusive and can be wall mounted. They do seem pricey - have only seen Tech's Kable Lite systems.

Track lighting seems like it would be difficult to wall mount, is distracting from the beauty of the wood. It is much less expensive.

I would love to hear more experienced users comment on these two lighting systems - ease of use, quality of light, expense and difficulty to install. I want a space that is well lit for reading and ambient room lighting.

thanks!

Comments (5)