SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misenplace

Rule of thumb for size of ottoman vs. couch?

misenplace
13 years ago

Is there a good rule of thumb for size of ottoman/coffee table vs. size of couch?

I ordered a storage ottoman for our family room, which will double as the coffee table, but it needs to go back because it is too small so I am on the hunt again! I measured and thought it would be the right size, but it just looks too small now that it's actually here in the space.

The couch it will be going in front of is 76"W x 38"D. There is a large-ish English roll arm chair 36"W x 42"D to one side of the couch, and I may add a smaller armchair on the other side. The couch, chair & ottoman are sitting on top of a 8' x 10' area rug. The room size is 13.5' x 14.5'.

The ottoman I'm looking at now is 44.5"W x 21"D. Do you think that will be large enough to not look dwarfed by the couch/chair, or do I need to go bigger?

Wish I could post pics of the room, but we're having computer issues & I can't access photos right now, but link to the ottoman I am thinking about is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Espresso Flip-top Bi-cast Leather Storage Bench

Comment (1)