SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drybean_gw

Pls Help with Family Rm. Needs it all (drapes, paint, etc.). Pics

drybean
14 years ago

Hello!

I am a long time lurker but seldom poster. I have learned so much from these forums and have been very impressed with the vast knowledge and expertise on here. We have just moved back to the USA after a 2 year stint abroad, and are happy to be back 'home', albeit in an entirely new state and location.

We moved into our house in October, and I like to think of it as a teenager who just needs to get her braces off and lose 15 lbs. It just needs a bit of tweaking to make it a really great house for us. We're doing what we can, bit by bit.

We have a fairly large family room that I hate. I don't like even being in it, I think b/c it does not feel warm and cozy to me (and the single digit temps are not helping!). The room is 24x18, and this is our TV room. We have a formal living room that does not have a TV, so this room really is about watching football, movies and the fireplace. To that end, it is impt to my husband that either the couch or the loveseat faces the TV for proper flopping about and optimal viewing. : ) I have a hard time w/ furniture arrangement due to the 2 walls of windows and the fireplace.

I think a warmer paint color would help, and also some drapes, perhaps layered with woven shades. Don't worry, the horrid vertical blinds left by the previous owners are coming down.

I am unable to buy new furniture at this point, other than perhaps a console table, and an ottoman/coffee table, but I can switch w/ what I have in the living room (pic attached). But it does needs lamps, some accessories, etc., all of which I can get.

We will be replacing the carpet in the spring, likely with a berber.

Finally, we do have a large 42" plasma TV that I can switch with the one currently in here as well, if that helps with placement (mounting it on the wall, etc.).

I have 2 small children and 1 big dog, hence all the leather furniture.

Standing with back to large window. Sofa is in front of me, not really visible.

Sofa seating area:

Chair seating area & TV:

Fireplace:

Behind sofa and big window. Underneath the photo there is a nice wooden toy box that is not really visible:

Extra furniture that can be put in here:

couch (sage green velvet):

chairs:

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz