SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Strawberry Salsa

wizardnm
14 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned on another thread that I was going to make a strawberry salsa to go with fish, when our local strawberries were ripe. Well, I did it! The flavors worked together very well. Let me know what you think. This will be in my local paper tomorrow...

LOCAL TASTE

STRAWBERRY SEASON!

We seem to have moved instantly from spring to summer. Warm weather has brought vacationers to our area and summer residents have returned. The farmerÂs markets have started up again, farm stands have opened and I bought my first quarts of luscious, red ripe local strawberries. Nothing compares to that first juicy strawberry!

IÂve been a fan of fruit salsas for a long time and have enjoyed many different ways to use them. The surprising combination of sweet and spicy brings out the best in fish and I chose walleye to go with a fresh strawberry salsa that I made from my first strawberries. This recipe is mild but you can crank up the heat by adding more jalapeno. I choose to pan fry the fish with a nut crust but grilling is certainly an option.

PECAN CRUSTED WALLEYE WITH STRAWBERRY SALSA

Make the salsa first so the flavors have a chance to blend.

STRAWBERRY SALSA

1 qt fresh strawberries, tops removed and chopped

4 green onions, green and white parts, sliced thin

Juice of 1 lime

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped

¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Stir together in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.

PECAN CRUSTED WALLEYE

2 walleye fillets

1 large egg, slightly beaten

1 cup finely chopped pecans

Flour seasoned with salt and pepper

Olive oil

Dredge the walleye in flour, shaking of excess.

Dip in the beaten egg and coat in pecans.

Heat olive oil in frying pan and fry walleye for about 6 minutes on each side. Serves 4.

Nancy

Comments (6)