SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

High fiber cooked salsa recipes

sturgeonguy
10 years ago

My goal this year is to produce salsa. Ideally, I want to put as much soluble fiber as possible in it. To this end, IâÂÂm growing tomatillos, okra, zucchini, cucumbers, Roma, heirloom beefsteaks (2 varieties), cilantro, hot peppers (3 varieties, jalapeno, cayenne, and habanero), sweet pepper, kohlrabi, garlic, onion, parsley, spinach, corn, and pinto beans. On the sweet side, IâÂÂll have honeydew and cantaloupe, watermelon, and strawberry. I also have my own maple syrup if I really need a boost (or to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.)

Some things are going to be used pureed, like the pinto beans, others cooked, like the okra, and others as âÂÂchunksâÂÂ, like the tomatoes.

I donâÂÂt have any distinct recipes at this point, but I do believe thereâÂÂs a way to incorporate all of this produce into salsa to experiment with flavor and fiber content.

IâÂÂd like to ask if any of you have experience with any of the non-traditional ingredients in a cooked salsa, and if so, what your experience was. For example, I need to make sure I keep stringy veg outta the mix, so processing things like Okra to ensure it wonâÂÂt be. What would you de-seed? Keeping tomato skin outta the salsa is a must, but are there any other veg youâÂÂd peel? Have I mentioned anything that you think wouldnâÂÂt preserve well (e.g. the melons?)

IâÂÂm trying to create something healthy (e.g. diabetic friendly), and with an entirely new taste that hints at familiar salsa.

Cheers,
Russ

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths