SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

fireplace design help needed, thanks!

Shannon01
16 years ago

Ok, we have made huge progress on our fireplace redo. I will show the before pic and where we are now, along with the sample of tile that will go around the fireplace and on floor as the hearth. You will see a hole in top section, that is where the center speaker will go. The tv is a 50" plasma. I have about 24" on both sides of tv.

DH is having a hard time visualizing the final result. The entire area will be knockdown texture just like before. The upper frame, mantle and legs will all be white and the recessed area for the tv and the sides between fireplace and legs will be the light tan that the outer walls are in the rest of the room.

We came up with the idea of using panels that slide over the tv to hide it when not in use, but that would only be while we are sleeping so we decided to not do that. We thought of doing recessed little shelves on both sides of tv but think that will be really distracting while watching tv. We thought of doing three really chunky candle sticks on one side of mantle and hanging a piece of iron work on the other side of the tv. I wanted to do sconces but dh is against that, feels that will be busy just like recessed display shelves.

As for the bottom area. There is about 15" from fireplace to legs. One side will be the tools and the other will be a large vase. So those areas will not seem bare.

Initially we were going to do floor to ceiling recessed shelving on both sides of fireplace but with only 15" on both sides, it was just too thin.

Any ideas on what to put on sides of tv would be helpful.

before:

Current and tile:

{{gwi:1547838}}

{{gwi:1547843}}

Comments (9)