SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coconut_nj

Mashed Potato Gnocchi

coconut_nj
14 years ago

I was going to post this on the what to do with leftover mashed potatoes, but since it's so many pictures I thought I'd just post it by itself.

I love any kind of gnocchi. Regular potato gnocchi and ricotta gnocchi are also favorites. But Christy loves her mashed potatoes and gets cravings for them but tends to make too many and is not a big fan of them leftover. We use a lot of butter and milk in our mashed potatoes so these gnocchi can be made with most any mashed potato recipe. Be nice to make them with roasted garlic mashed potatoes I bet.

Mashed Potato Gnocchi

3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes

2 eggs

1/4 cup of romano or parmessian [totally optional]

Approx 3 cups of flour

Mix the mashed potatoes with the eggs and cheese. Start with about 2 cups of flour and work in. Keep adding flour half a cup at a time, until you have a soft but somewhat stiff dough. Don't overwork. Pull or cut a large meatball size piece of dough off the mass and roll into a snake about 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut into one inch pieces. Roll and flip the pieces with a floured fork. You can actually skip this step, but give it a try. It's fun to learn. Many people find it easier to roll the pieces on the fork to get marks. I'm more looking for a dent in the gnocchi to trap the sauce. Simmer in salted water for about 15 minutes depending on what size you make them. Serve with a nice tomato basil sauce or butter and sour cream or browned butter and sage. Lots of ways to serve them. Yields about 3 pounds of gnocchi.

Very easy to halve this recipe. The cup and a half is usually more like the amount we have leftover. You can make them with whatever amount you have. It's a very forgiving recipe. Just add an egg or two, maybe some cheese and enough flour to make it into a dough. Even if you overwork it you can just let it rest a bit and then cook it a little longer to make them tender. I hope you'll give them a try.

Aren't the eggs from "My" freerange hens nice and yellow?

I was getting a bit tired and kind of was a bit rough with some of my cuts, mashing the ropes. OOps.. heh..

It's really hard to take a pic of yourself while doing this flip. LOL. You kind of press about half way or so, press, pull and flip the fork up. Give it a bit of English. Smiles. [I wouldn't let ya down Robin]

Another view of the beginning. See how when you press and draw the fork down the end lifts up getting ready to flip.

After a flip. Ok, that one kind of folded after it flipped but what the heck, it's not rocket science. Smiles.

Whatever you do to them as long as they come out like this, it's all good. Delish.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus