SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Potatoes cooked in milk/cream for mashed potatoes?

caliloo
14 years ago

I happened to have Tyler on while I am fiddling in the kitchen for tomorrow and he swears this is the "best" way to make mashed potatoes. Have you ever heard of cooking the potatoes in a combination of milk and heavy cream? I would not put the mustard in the mix, but the herby garlicy cream sounds kind of good. I usually make my potatoes with sour cream, roasted garlic, S&P, milk or cream to thin if needed and I was contemplating trying this (but I'm kind of afraid of going so far afield for an "important" meal).

Would you make your mashed potatoes this way? And do you think they would reheat tomorrow?

TIA

Alexa

Grainy Mustard Mashed Potatoes

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

.Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:45 minLevel:

EasyServes:

4 to 6 servings. Ingredients

Â8 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, quartered unpeeled

Â2 cups heavy cream

Â2 cups whole milk

Â4 cloves garlic, peeled and gently smashed

Â4 sprigs fresh thyme

Â1 bay leaf

ÂExtra-virgin olive oil

Â2 tablespoons butter

Â1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard

ÂKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Add potatoes, cream, milk, garlic, thyme and bay leaf into a large saucepan and gently boil for 15 minutes until potatoes are just tender and the tip of a paring knife goes through with little resistance. Strain potatoes and reserve the cream mixture but discard the bay leaf, thyme stems and the garlic. Mash the potatoes and fold in the cream mixture until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Fold in about a tablespoon of the olive oil, the butter, and the grainy mustard. Season with salt and pepper.

Comments (7)