SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

First batch of homemade ice cream... oh my!

jenn
13 years ago

Today I made our first batch of homemade ice cream using the ice cream freezer we got as a wedding gift 15+ years ago. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and Dessert Book.

The recipe calls for unsweetened chocolate, but we happened to have an unopened(!!!) bar of Trader Joe's 72% chocolate so I used that instead, adjusting the sugar based on the calculations at ChefTalk.com.

The ice cream is VERY chocolatey and delicious. My husband thinks it is a little too sweet, so I may have under-estimated the size of "rounded" tablespoon when decreasing the amount of sugar (see link above).

The chocolatey taste is right on, so next time I will use unsweetened chocolate so I don't need to adjust the sugar (taste comparison). It is also a little rich for my taste, so I may use whipping cream (instead of the heavy cream I used today), or less cream and more milk.

The texture is grainy. I'm wondering if the sugar didn't completely dissolve in the hot milk/egg mixture; I accidently added the amount of sugar that I decreased from the recipe into the hot milk before removing it from the heat and adding the chocolate ---- it was then that I saw the bowl of measured sugar, so I decreased the same amount from that and poured it into the hot milk already removed from the heat with the chocolate added. Oops. Oh well, today was just the "dry run" for our party next weekend.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath