SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19715097

What's for breakfast?

User
15 years ago

I desperately need some healthy, nutritious breakfast ideas/recipes. We usually have oatmeal with blueberries, which is great, but hub and I are both sick of it. We don't like boxed cereals. We both have to watch carbs, so pancakes and such are out too. I read you should have protein for breakfast, but I have no idea how to do that, short of having eggs and bacon every morning. What do you guys eat in the morning?

Comments (18)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Whole wheat toast with peanutbutter sometimes.
    Cottage cheese and fruit other times.
    Bagels and lox is also good.
    Linda C

• compumom
    15 years ago

I supplement DH's breakfast with a few chicken and apple breakfast sausages. They cook up in about 10 minutes. I buy a bigger pack and parcel them out for the freezer. He reports that they hold him until lunch. Often he may have them with an english muffin (low carb). Another thing is melted cheese on toast, or cottage cheese and fruit. He loves the Greek-style plain yogurt with fresh fruit too.

• Related Discussions

What's for breakfast?

Q

Comments (23)
    Lol, you people are "sick".....talking about breakfast and cat barf at the same time! Nicole, I need to pick up some Pero. Can't drink coffee, too acidic, but enjoy something hot in the morning. This morning, I made shrimp and grits for my houseguests. Big success. :-) Okay, in the spirit of the detour that this thread took, I have a cat barf story that beats all. Our Paco has one of those tall carpet covered cat towers with several levels (basement, mezzanine, 3rd floor apartment, balcony, and the catbird seat). He uses every bit of it. A couple of weeks ago, he had a big snack followed up by a huge drink of water. (Know where I'm going with this?) After his drink, he trotted over to his tower, climbed to the top and immediately (!) started to heave. It landed on each and every level except the basement. Sigh.
    ...See More

Good Morning! What's for breakfast?

Q

Comments (10)
    I baked a Krusteze coffee cake from a box Thanksgiving eve. Not bad and easy as could be. Surprisingly, everyone had some for Christmas morning, and DD baked some cheese and sausage pinwheels too. We finished it off today with coffee and tea. I will do that again, but I won't use all the sugar topping as it was just a little too much. I miss that Aunt Jemimah streusel topped coffee cake mix that came with its own pan.
    ...See More

jade. its whats for breakfast

Q

Comments (5)
    That looks different than mine, almost like a cat or squirrel giving an experimental chew. On mine they are roughly circular with smooth edges, I'm assuming from a leaf cutter bee. ez
    ...See More

What's For Breakfast on Monday!

Q

Comments (9)
    I had a chocolate donut and a glass of ice cold milk this morning. Yum! I loved your plate pizza story from last week! That sounded delicious!
    ...See More
  • Gina_W
    15 years ago

Okay, don't attempt to fix your computer - there's nothing wrong with it! It's just one of my unusual breakfasts:

Smoked kippers, mini gherkins, mustard, whole-grain crackers.

and

{{gwi:1528729}}
    Fruit and yogurt smoothie.

I looked down at my plate that day and just had to run and get the camera.

I bought the smoked kippers at Trader Joes. We usually have sardines. We make fruit salads, have all kinds of eggs, bacon, sausages, oatmeal, bran cereal, and are currently on the non-fat yogurt smoothie kick.

For a refreshing change, try a doogh, Iranian-style yogurt drink - nonfat plain yogurt blended with sparkling water. If you are feeling adventurous, add a pinch of salt and some dried mint.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

I like soups for breakfast. Miso soup is a good one as it is fairly high in protein. I like it with rice for breakfast, but you could sub brown rice to cut the carbs a bit or use tofu instead. A good, hearty vegetable beef soup is fairly low as well, as long as you leave out the pasta or rice.

How about hard boiled eggs heated in a spicy tomato sauce on thinly sliced whole wheat or rye bread?

A cheese omelet made with leftover meat from dinner?

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

I like shakes for breakfast too. They're really filling.

I also like tomato & cukes for breakfast with some cottage cheese. I don't mix them together, just have them next to each other!

Breakfast burrito? Eggs, salsa, meat if you like, and cheese all wrapped in a low carb tortilla.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• Marigene
    15 years ago

We have an omelet or frittata a couple times a week, that way we get an extra serving of vegetables.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

While tomatoes are ripe, I like toasted wheat bread, a little mayonnaise, sliced tomatoes, and sliced cheddar or muenster cheese; put under the broiler until cheese is nice and melty. I've even been known to have a BLT for breakfast.

Fage or homemade yogurt cheese on multi-grain English muffins with a dollop of all fruit jam is good.

Lowfat ham or turkey rolled up with a piece of lowfat cheese and sliced into rounds is a portable breakfast in a zip bag. A Danish-style breakfast of sliced meats, cheeses, crackers, and a hardboiled egg would be different for a change.

I find that protein stays with me longer than cereal and have an egg and bacon or my homemade sausage about 3 times a week. And I've always heard to have some sort of protein if you are having carbs at the same time.

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Petra, I don't eat eggs but make my husband egg white omelets and turkey sausage for breakfast. I also think proteins have more staying power than carbs. If I do have carbs in the morning I always eat them with a protein. I get 98% fat free ham slices. Also, I have the deli slice their low fat, low salt turkey breast about an inch thick and I slice that for breakfast. I also found Kashi Crunch cereal to be really good, it has 7 or 8 grams of protein. I like it with blueberries. I've already grilled extra chicken breasts the night before and eaten them for breakfast. Hope this helps! Gina

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks so much for all the ideas, and just in time for breakfast!! I am printing this thread! Chicken and Apple sausages, have to look for those. Soup for breakfast sounds wonderful too, especially in winter. You guys have great ideas, I am glad I asked.
    Gina W, that looks interesting. :) I love fish, but hubby likes salmon, and that's about it. Lucky you to live close to a Trader Joe's, I wish they would come to our area.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

obxgina, thanks for the kashi crunch suggestion. I've seen it on the shelves, but had no idea it has that much protein. We both don't care for cornflakes, special k and such, and muesli has a lot of fat, but the kashi sounds different. I will check it out next time shopping.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Petra, I'm another person who eats "other" food for breakfast and my youngest daughter spent years eating grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup for breakfast, LOL.

Frankly, I eat breakfast at about 10 a.m. after I've been up a couple of hours. With my hens producing daily eggs, I often have omelettes for lunch or for supper. I like quiche, but frittata doesn't have any crust and that makes it lower in carbs and in fat and calories.

I'll have some fruit and a piece of cheese, or yogurt with fruit and sprinkled with a little granola or a crumbled gingersnap for texture. I eat peanut butter often, but usually just off the spoon, LOL.

Ashley loves apple slices with peanut butter and to make it more portable she'll spread a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter, sprinkle with chopped apple and roll it up. Cream cheese and ham or turkey works the same way on that tortilla, so does filling it with eggs cooked any way you like them. Egg salad works well, as does chicken salad with leftover chicken.

Gina, I'd love your breakfast and I like sardines and nearly all other fish.

Elery also likes huevos rancheros, eggs cooked in salsa, but he's as likely to take a boiled egg, remove the yolk and fill the white part with salsa. Yes, for breakfast, LOL. He'll also eat scotch eggs, hardboiled eggs wrapped in sausage.

So what have I had for breakfast? Umm......an orange ginger biscotti and about three cups of coffee. (grin)

Annie

• trsinc
    15 years ago

I'm another strange eater. I like bacon and eggs, just usually not for breakfast. My favorite breakfast is chicken gumbo. This morning I had chicken and cornbread dressing. I also love soups for breakfast. My two favorites are split pea soup and sweet potato chowder. I often have tomatoes with whatever I'm eating. About the only breakfasty thing I regularly have in the a.m. is yogurt. And yes, most of my breakfasts are left overs, but I just can't seem to make a small pot of soup, so I freeze the rest in small portions to use whenever.

Good to see I'm not alone, lol.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, there's the old saying, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. But I don't think I'd like to get up before dawn and start cooking to produce a breakfast fit for a king. :o)

• mimsic
    15 years ago

I had a friend years ago who loved cold pizza and flat pepsi for breakfast!

My own regular is a handful of fresh berries, mixed, whatever kind are available, about a cup of fat free plain yogurt topped with 2 Tbs. of Fiber-One. Mix well and crush a few of the berries as you mix. Enjoy! Its easy, healthy, low calorie, high fiber and very yummy. I have this almost every day.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mimsic, that sounds good. Especially as a summer breakfast when it's too hot to eat much of anything. Could also add some chopped almonds or other nuts.

• dreamhouse1
    15 years ago

I (try to) follow a high protein diet daily. You do need some carbs in the morning to burn and keep you energized. I eat 5 times a day (small meals), with carbs during meals 1 and 3 (breakfast & lunch). So breakfast, a 4 egg white omelet (sometimes just scrambled, sometimes I throw in a bit of reduced fat cheese) and 1 oz of cream of rice (not cream of wheat).

Kashi also makes a creal called Go Lean, which is 13g of protein; 10g fiber for 1 cup. I sometimes have a bowl with Slender Soy instead of milk (1 net carb) and a few raisins.

I also eat a lot of fat free cottage cheese.

Have you considered a protein shake? They can be whipped up fast and you can take it on the go. Also, since many come in packets you can take them with you and prep away from home. I can suggest a couple if you are interested. I mix up the flavors by adding some fruit, sometimes a shot of espresso.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dreamhouse, thanks for the Go Lean suggestion, I'll check that out. Re. shakes, we tried that for a while (not protein shakes, just fruit, yogurt, honey, and nuts) and liked them for snacks/small meals, but we both prefer something "heartier" for breakfast.

• kandm
    15 years ago

I don't like sweet things for breakfast. I do enjoyed pan fried fish with capers, butter and lemon. Sausage on bread with yellow mustard. Cheese and crackers. Tomato sandwiches with mayo, salt and pepper.