SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keeferb_gw

stains after washing...again

keeferb
16 years ago

For the past 5 years we owned a Kenmore front-load washer. I can't remember if we saw it right from the start, but we battled periodic oil-like stains on our clothes after washing them for the longest time. These stains usually didn't come out after re-washing, but we did find that mineral spirits removed them. The staining seemed to get worse over past year. For the most part, we used non-HE liquid detergent. We only used fabric softener with towels and sheets - never with clothes. Finally, a couple months ago the machine started to whine while spinning so we called in a Sears repair guy. He said these models had lots of problems with the seals/bearings and that was the cause of the oil stains. He also said to only use HE detergent in front loaders, but I know there is some debate on that.

So rather than spend the $400+ to repair the washer, we bought a new Maytag Epic. We love this machine. Except after 2 months of use, the oil stains have reappeared. This time around we have only used Tide HE in this machine, and softener only with towels and sheets. The staining does seem to be more common when we wash the kids clothes - we wash them separately, but we see it on our clothes as well. It's not every piece of clothing - usually just a few items in a given load. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I think my wife is on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and I'm not far behind(I say that jokingly...sort of).

Comments (8)