SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_belle

Diving in with trepidation - comments on our layout?

karen_belle
14 years ago

We're pretty far along in construction but the cabinet guy has not yet made measurements, no appliances have been ordered and no countertops have been purchased. That being said, we're done moving walls, windows & doors.

I would love comments on our plan:

We have two kids who like to cook, do their homework in the kitchen, play games, etc. The kitchen will be open to a family room at the top of the sketch. DR is accessed through a 4' door btwn the wine and the cooktop on the right of the sketch.

Our style in this remodel is modernish. We will be using Caesarstone for the countertops and a clear finish maple slab door style for the cabinets, which are going to be site built. At this point I think I'm committed (emotionally, not financially) to a 42" Subzero built-in for my refrigeration.

We changed our old pantry into an indoor laundry/mudroom, one of our main priorities in this remodel (but the layout of the laundry shown here isn't right; the w/d will be behind the door, the coat closet will greet you when you enter here). Thus the pantry is now at the end of the tall cabinet run, right by the family room. I think that will be ok; I have plenty of cabinet storage for baking/other supplies closer to the prep areas.

The dishwasher location is also going to be to the right of the sink, not the left. I think I'll have a trash/recycling pullout here, and then another smaller trash/compost one by the prep sink in the island.

I don't have plans for undercounter refrigeration; may add that later on when money is better and my needs are more clear. At this point I think my kids can walk the whole 30' from the couch to the fridge to get a cold drink.

OK - be gentle!

Comments (36)