SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Requesting a layout critique for open Great Room.

homey_bird
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

A long time lurker here. I am excited that finally I can use help from experts here!

We are starting on a big addition to our exisiting 1-story house to make it 2-story. The overall change is reconfiguring main floor, adding a bit of square footage (there's limitation to how many linear ft of walls we can change before triggering a major re-do. Our aim is to avoid major re-do).

I am uploading the current plan of the Kitchen, Living and Dining. It's a 39ftx14.5ft wide space, kind of a rectangle. I have a few concerns about this space, and I am also evaluating a possibility of reconfiguring. I would appreciate all feedback, help and critique.

My requirements and lifestyle: I cook a lot, entertain quite a bit. This will be a one-cook kitchen, but I am harboring hope that I will be able to get more help occasionally at least, when I have a bigger kitchen. Right now we have a kitchen that can only hold 1 person, so other family members have an excuse to not come in :-). If nothing else, then I think I can at least have a better connection while entertaining, which will be an upgrade in my lifestyle.

Some requirements:

1. No cooktop in the island, ideally not even a sink in the island.
  2. At least 5ft counterspace that's hidden inside a pantry/closet to hide appliances (we do not like the look of appliances cluttering counters. Our current kitchen is that, unfortunately).
  3. Island seating AND a nook dining areas.
  4. Plenty of storage. (I am thinking that if I get island as prep surface, I do not need other counterspace. But I would like to hear others' experiences) -- Wall to floor cabinets when possible.

Here's the currently made draft. As per our building rules, we cannot bump out >20 linear ft towards the top. This plan already uses that limit towards the top right end. (Living room is 16'8" wide as a result of this bump out, kitchen wall is unmoved). 'Top end' will open to a covered porch and backyard thereafter.

I have concerns about this plan but I'd love to hear others' views/thoughts:

1. I would like to have a dining area (apart from island) and this plan have a very narrow strip between L and K to fit dining table. Also, currently the kitchen isle width is ~5ft, and it's too wide. If we reset it to 42", then the kitchen may look too thin compared to the rest of the space.
  2. When we place dining table next to the kitchen island, there's practically no space for bar seating at island (it's desirable).
  3. In such an open kitchen, I'd love to have some closed space to hide away ugly stuff (appliances/rice cookers/toasters etc.)

I have come up with an updated concept. It keeps the top right end of the space intact, and uses left top end to bump out. Thus living room is now 14'6" wide (as it currently is before the remodel), but now I've created a dining area and relocated kitchen island. This is a very early stage plan, therefore not detailed. I see the following benefits:

- Being in the kitchen, there's better connection with L & D. (I expect to spend much of my family time in the kitchen thus it's important to me!)

- Bigger island gives more seating space to bar.

- Note that I have some leeway to relocate W+D elsewhere thus reclaiming that space for kitchen cabinets.

Issues for this updated plan (once I decide which general layout, then I will post with detailed kitchen plan only):

1. I still need that hidden space somewhere to hide my junk. I've shown a corner pantry but I'm not sure if it will work well.
  2. I'm completely giving up on window to the side yard (don't quite like it!)
  3. Ideally I would like an island to be just slab, with nothing in it.
  4. Since I've never had an open floor plan, I am a bit apprehensive about the "side" of the island visible from living, and that sight dominating the overall space. With that in mind, I've moved the island a bit to the left (so as soon as you enter the space, it is not too close for comfort. )

Comments (10)