SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenegreen

Critique my Kitchen layout, we want a WOW! room

kareng
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are in the brainstorming, but ideas are coming together stage. Would love a reality check on our current thoughts, and totally open to all suggestions and "This might sound crazy but…." ideas. We had planned to renovate this house soon after moving in. Now it's been 10+ years of living with a dated 1970's kitchen and really time to get it done.

Design goals:

Have a WOW! Room. We have a beautiful view, that currently isn't maximized. Our goal is for people to say "wow!" when they walk in the front door and get drawn into the sitting area.

Modernize kitchen and move to the side, add deck at main level. Currently deck is off the family room, half flight down. This would add comfortable seating area where the house has the best view. We don't use the dining room very often, only when we have guests. And even then, most people "get stuck" at the kitchen table. Current living room is rarely used and has minimal view of it's own.

Constraints:

Back wall should have as much glass as possible, no wall cabinets.

New door on side wall, to have easier access to garden and unloading from car that would be parked on that side of driveway. (we don't park in the garage) This is best location for door and stairway due to slope.

The wall across the middle of the main floor, is a bearing wall, we'll probably need to leave more of it than I have planned and likely need a column where the wall ovens are, but I'll leave that to the engineers to tell me later.

Appliances: Specifics are TBD, but planning for 36 in counter depth fridge, 30in induction cooktop, microwave or speed/oven wall combo, freezer in pantry (I do a lot of big batch cooking)

Other remodel goals:

expanding the master bedroom to have more room and larger bathroom on second floor, and use that space on first floor for living room.

Add interior stairway down to basement and create guest suite underneath the kitchen/living area (that space is currently a partially finished room)

We'll revamp the front of the house, so ignore the wall that's cutting into the front window. That will change.

Questions:

I've gone back and forth on a prep sink in the island vs. beverage center area. I'm leaning toward no sink on the island, since the spacing on the end seems awkward. The distance btwn sink and ref in this plan is about what I have now. I picture using the island as landing space, similar to how I use the end of the current peninsula.

Base corner cabinet - still deciding between lazy susan, dead corner, or corner drawers.

Proposed overall layout:

Existing:

Comments (16)