SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveinya

Need help with breakfast room design and overall layout critique.

loveinya
8 years ago

We are remrodeling our kitchen, opening up to the family room with a cutout in the wall. Pillars/columns for design and support. The lower wall will have the 30" sink with two dishwashers and some cabinets. It will also have a bar to hide the sink. The total length is 11ft. Is that long long for a bar ?

The The angular bar will be removed and instead a 9 ft long by 3 ft wide island with a prep sink will be in between the cooking wall and the cleanup sink wall. Walk space available is 43 inches on either side.

The cooking wall will have a 36 inch cooktop, an under counter GE oven and a range hood. (And hopefully a warming drawer. ) The oven will remain in its current location except under counter. ( I want the extra counter space more than two ovens, besides planning on a micro/convection for the island)

DH thinks we should keep the open theme and avoid all upper cabinets and have tile on the upper wall on either side of vent hood. I am ok without cabinets as I have planned a lot of drawers in lower cabs, but not sure of how that will look. My problem is I want the kitchen to blend merge well with the breakfast area. I want a better design for the continuing wall . Must haves are a desk and other storage for school/kids material and for bills and such.

Please help with suggestions, I have considered extending the counter, adding an undercounter wine cooler and then dropping to 30 inches height and continuing into breakfast room. I am open to furniture ideas but pics will help. The flush bay window seems like a problem, is it?

We are in initial stages of design. But for discussion sake, I should mention I am planning white shaker cabinets.

Comment (1)