SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_nelson982

My family room and breakfast nook need help!

Mary Nelson
6 years ago

I hope I'm not posting this twice. I tried starting a discussion yesterday but am not seeing it posted so I am trying again. I am new to Houzz and would love some design help for my family room and breakfast nook.

The sofa and rug in the family room are new so I’m planning to keep them. I’d like to replace the coffee table, leather chair and TV stand. I love the West Elm 70” Reclaimed Wood & Lacquer Media Console, but I’m not in love with the price. I found some DIY plans online (image below) and a wood-worker who I think can make it for less money. Plus I like the idea of spending my money locally, and maybe using some up-cycled materials. I’d have the console doors stained in a medium-ish finish to pick up the tan color in the rug.

I also like the West Elm Duffield swivel chair (image below). Was thinking to get one of those in a dark grey fabric and place it sort of where the leather chair is now. I’d like to get a second one to put next to the fireplace, in the corner near the TV but my husband say no one will sit in it. On a regular basis we have 2-3 people in the room watching TV. On an occasional basis I want to be able to seat 5 people for conversation.

Is there a better layout for this room to get seating for five?

I also need a rug and round table for the breakfast nook. The curtains in the bayed area are coming down after winter. I have a table design in mind (image below) – again having the wood-worker make it for me. The finish would be all stain, not painted, to match the stained part of the media console. I’m a little concerned I’m leaning too far toward a farmhouse look. I’d like to keep it more transitional.

Finally, any suggestions for a rug for the breakfast nook that would complement my existing rug and the furniture?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. I’m including pictures of the space and the family room dimensions.

Comments (33)

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Agreed that the fireplace needs updating. Not sure why it was built so big. Your suggesting mounting the tv on the left wall? I think it would be a tight fit between the windows but might work. I need seating for five in the FR not the breakfast nook. There I’m okay with seating for 4. I have a dining room and another table in the basement when we have more than four. I feel the bayed window lends itself to a round table but maybe I’m wrong?

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok I guess I’ll have to give more thought to the table shape and size. I’ve only been considering 48” round. Any thoughts on a furniture layout for the FR that gives me seating for 5?

• Related Discussions

Galley Kitchen Expansion into Breakfast Nook - Help Needed

Q

Comments (3)
    Good advice from CPArtist - for instance you might find you need/want a mudroom space attached to the garage. And/or add a larger pantry space (then remove the one in the kitchen to free up more counter space)
    ...See More

Need help with area rug for breakfast nook!

Q

Comments (9)
    You seem to be drawn to West Elm style. What about one of their rugs? I don't think of your floor as being busy or having an actual pattern, so I wouldn't worry about that. I think you could use something fun and colorful. I'd be sure whatever size you get will fit completely under all the legs, including the back ones, to make it more stable and avoid what Flo suggests about problems for people sliding in and out .
    ...See More

Need help for little breakfast nook

Q

Comments (2)
    Why another post on the same issue?
    ...See More

Need Help - Expanding Kitchen into Breakfast Nook with bay window

Q

Comments (9)
    eliminate the peninsula /eliminate the diag sink / eliminate double ovens-get a range w a good hood instead of cooktop. Construct a U kitchen with your three walls and w the changes it should work better. You have over 10 ft across...so 5 or 6 feet of aisle. there is no reason why you can't get a U kitchen to work for two cooks. Eliminating the bay window seems unnecessary. You need lighter walls..lighter counters.. w blinds closed and only one window. You'll get better task lighting as part of a redo. Good ceiling feature also: so start with calculation of budget, as new appliances and new everything are part of a good plan. You have space.
    ...See More
  • Manon Floreat
    6 years ago

To seat five in the family room area, I'd go for two stationary matching armchairs perpendicular to the sofa (backs facing breakfast nook) and another chair to the right of the fireplace. Perhaps a modern wing. This arrangement will suit 3-4 comfortably for watching TV and 5-6 for conversation.

You'll want your dining table centered under the light fixture and I'm not sure there's enough floor space to allow for the chairs to scoot fully back and still remain on the rug. Also, it looks like the rug edge would infringe on the kitchen walk way. Get some painter's tape and mark out the corners of the rug to see if one would fit. But from the looks of it, I think I'd skip the rug.

I think a round table for the breakfast nook would compliment the curves of the bay.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like that layout but am not sure the stationary chairs will allow for tv viewing. You wouldn’t put swivel chairs there like the one I posted?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

The T.V console says MCM ish the table is country and the chair is kind of non descript, what is it you love about each one.

• Manon Floreat
    6 years ago

If you generally only have 2-3 people watching TV at a time, either stationary or swivels will work. It's a matter of preference. If you go for swivels, be sure to choose a manufacture with strong and lasting mechanisms. It would be disappointing to buy a poorly constructed swivel and have it break in a few years.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Patricia - What I like about the console is the MCM vibe but I know the style of my house doesn't lend itself to MCM. I thought the reclaimed doors would mitigate that somewhat, so I'd be blurring the line between modern and farmhouse. In looking at the table again, I'm not really sure there's much I do like about it. I definitely don't want country. And I like the lines of the chair. I thought it would complement the style of my sofa. Size-wise I thought it would be a good fit. The dark grey would provide a nice contrast to the light tweedy fabric of the sofa and pull out the dark grey in the rug. I didn't want to go crazy with a pattern or color because the rug is already enough pattern. I'm not married to any of these pieces and would love suggestions. I'm not sure my instinct is so good.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I think I'm going to focus on the breakfast nook first. Take down the drapes and replace with roman shades. Add table and chairs, maybe a rug. The nook is two story and open to the second floor landing. Sound bounces around the space like crazy. I'm hoping a second rug in the space will help absorb some sound.

Any thoughts on one of these tables for the space? I'm looking for 48" round. If it expands, great but that's not a requirement.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Port Townsend 48" Round Dining Table · More Info

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Hi, Mary. Manon's furniture arrangement is perfect and I agree with your idea of using two swivel chairs. I can't speak to the quality of West Elm's Duffield, but it's not too large and style-wise it fits.

I think a round table in the breakfast nook is probably the way to go, but to to go with your intended media cabinet, I'd choose something more modern. Go for legs instead of a pedestal. West Elm has some your woodworker can copy. It also has this expandable one you might like:

Fishs Eddy Expandable Dining Table | west elm · More Info
    These chairs would even work well in the space since they have little visual weight. And the whole set would go well with your industrial chandelier.

Definitely ditch the curtains. If you don't need them, I wouldn't even do shades, but just leave the windows naked.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

• lisaam
    6 years ago

So glad that the dog is back. Grover's lovely redesigns were feeling a bit vacant.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So happy to see some activity on my discussion. Grover, thank you for weighing in with your thoughts and the mock-ups. I love the furniture placement for the family room. That's definitely the direction I'll go in. I like that the legs on the media console give it some lightness.

Regarding the table, I'm not really feeling it. On Sunday I ordered the white table I posted above because I was so tired of looking at that empty space. The sales person called me today to say that it's "over committed" and delivery is 8-10 weeks. So I think I'm going to cancel it. I don't want to wait that long. I'll look online tonight for other options. I'd prefer a pedestal table to give me the flexibility of adding one or two more chairs when needed and I like white to keep the space bright. I had an inspiration photo of a white pedestal table in a bayed breakfast nook but can't find it now. Will see if I can locate it again.

I'll post if I find anything - would appreciate more feedback!

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, I see that a pedestal base is probably too heavy for the space. Glad I canceled the order. The West Elm table looks more appealing to me now. The nook space measures 10' from the peninsula counter to the transition strip in the floor where the family room starts, and about 8' from the sliding glass door to end of peninsula. A 48" table would be too big?

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

A 48" only gives you 2' on each side between peninsula and living room. Not enough. Even a 36" table only gives you 2 1/2'; that's better, but you should really have 3' of walk space. You might be able to fudge it. Before you commit, either tape it out on the floor or make a template of newspaper so you can see exactly how it will work.

Perhaps your woodworker can make you a table to the exact size you need.

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    6 years ago

It looks like the best way to set up your furniture is going to be kind of like in this design we did for a client below. Keep your sofa where it currently is, add in your TV console, and then you can get two of the swivel chairs and add them where you currently have the chair angled. Then you can add another chair in the corner near the TV. That should easily work with the arrangement.

Kings Road Guest House · More Info

Kings Road Guest House · More Info

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Courtney Thomas - thanks for the input. You’ve validated the layout that Manon posted above, which I think will be great for the space.

Grover - I laid out a blanket as best I could in a 48” round. I measured and have 36” all around including from the peninsula and the family room. I remeasured the space and it’s approximately 10x10. I think a 48” will work if I keep the table light and chairs small scale.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know this doesn’t go with the media console I had in mind but it might work in the space?

https://www.pier1.com/amelia-48%22-natural-stonewash-round-dining-table/3189148.html

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

If you have 10', then 48" should work. A little tip to get a bit more space: put your chairs so they are at an angle to the peninsula.

• wickedwhite
    6 years ago
    Hi Mary. Beautiful home! I think a 48” round pedestal table would be a perfect choice. Your style appears to lean a little more transitional than MCM. I like the two tables you posted above. You may want to look for a slightly more slender base, like a tulip, but your choice certainly fits with the style of your home. Love that you removed the drapes! I would skip a rug here. I think just adding some furniture will help absorb the noise.
    Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Westbury Long Island New York · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/7-austin-terrace-transitional-kitchen-dallas-phvw-vp~7487236
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Here are some round pedestal tables if you're not sold on white.

Three Posts Barrington Dining Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

SCTL Dining Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Madison Park Signature Helena Round Dining Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm kind of stuck now on a table in a light finish with legs. I do want to keep to a more transitional style but I think this table complements the more traditional aspects of the space, like the window and door trim and the chair rail in the family room. Is it too country?

• Manon Floreat
    6 years ago

I don't think the table you posted is too country. However, I think a simple pedestal would be more streamlined - and functional if you want to squeeze people around the table. Legs will get in the way.

• Izzy Mn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm a fan of glass topped tables. I have one. They take up less visual space too.

Spills are easy to clean up, we have done art and paint projects on it with my son when he was younger. You just have to be careful with scratching,but not too careful.

Example of pedestal glass topped table. Probably not the perfect one for you but this is just a idea.

https://m.roomstogo.com/product/Dining-Room-Sets/Cindy-Crawford-Home-Key-West-Tobacco-5-Pc-Round-Dining-Room-with-Oval-Chairs/4323934P/

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I took Issy Mn's suggestion about a glass topped table to heart and searched for something I liked. I came up with the Pier 1 Marchella Round Dining Table in antique white. I like that the pedestal is not a heavy base. I'm deciding between this piece and a white tulip table. I know they are completely different styles but I feel I can design the family room around either one of them. I'm leaning toward the Pier 1 table, but would welcome opinions.

And does anyone like these chairs for the Marchella table?

• Manon Floreat
    6 years ago

Glass table tops are a love'em or leave'em type of thing. I think they look really nice - and as noted they tend to take up less visual space. However, I don't find them welcoming for an eating table. I like the direction you were going in with the white pedestal table. Here's one from Basset that has a simplified base. Also a collage paired with patterned chairs. I like the idea of round chair backs with the round table.

Basset Round

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Quick update - I finally bought a table and chairs a few weeks ago, and really like how they look. It kind of gives a coastal vibe to the space, which I'd like to play off of in my family room.

So next up I want to do something with the fireplace, purchase 2 swivel chairs and get a new coffee table and media console. If you were me, which would you tackle first? I'm thinking the fireplace, maybe stain the bricks and paint the metal surround. Or should I get the furniture first then do the fireplace?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

You can do the fireplace any time. Here it is whitewashed, with and without the surround painted black. I'm not sure I like the black surround. It looks like a big black hole.

• Izzy Mn
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Grover, the white washed brick looks nice. Did you add the basset hound?

My MIL had spot lights (really small flush with the ceiling) added in ceiling to highlight /shine on the fireplace mantel (I think two shining from different directions, adjustable ) and it really added a lot of ambient light for the whole room. I would imagine the LED lighting available today would be good, not as hot as the halogen (I think that's what she had) that she used. Can you add some of those in your mock up?

Mary, pretty table you picked out. Looks good.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have a senior graduating from high school this month and we have been busy with senior activities.

I'm not feeling the whitewashed on the brick. Too country I think. I'd like to tone down or get rid of the pink altogether. I definitely don't like the black surround. I agree with Grover that it looks like a big black hole.

I finally opened the fireplace screen (first time doing so!) and it's so dirty inside the box, I don't even want to go near it. Not sure I'm up for the fireplace project yet. Would like to get it converted to all gas and paint inside the box too. Probably best if I wait until after I get my daughter off to college later this summer. Would like to add additional lighting too as Izzy suggests.

Can I ask for opinions on furnishing the rest of the room? I've decided against the chairs and media console I referenced at the start of this dilemma. I want to have a transitional-coastal feel to the space, if there is such a thing.

I've had my eye on this swivel chair from All Modern in the Classic Smoke fabric. The color pulls one of the tones from my sofa. Two of these to go side by side across from the fireplace. The height of the arms and back are the same as the sofa, so scale should be good.

• Mary Nelson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ugh. Picture didn't post . . .