SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notsuperwoman

Is your folding area big enough? Wish you had more elbow room?

notsuperwoman
15 years ago

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking on these forums for what seems like years and we are finally framing out the laundry room in our home. I was hoping any of you who have strong opinions on these "space" issues wouldn't mind chiming in.

Sorry to go into such detail, but the laundry area is not a real room or closet, but a wide hallway to the bathroom. Based on our laundry needs, we've decided on two washer dryer pairs and possibly a drying cabinet.

If we stack the equipment on one wall, we'd have 4 to 4.5 feet of floor space in front of the appliances (which is effectively the width of the remaining pass thru to the bathroom), but only a shallow folding surface about 4 feet long.

If we do side by side installations on both sides of the hallway, the pass thru narrows to about 3', but the folding area would be a deeper surface about 6.5 feet long.

In our old place, there was nowhere to fold the laundry near the w/d, so we just took it into a bedroom, so no real point of comparison.

I know mileage varies for each family, but I was particularly wondering if anybody has strong feelings about this choice. How much area do you have to fold clothes and is it adequate? Does anyone feel they wish they would have kept more clearance in front of their appliances. Do you just take the laundry in front of the nearest TV to fold anyway?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. L

Comments (3)