SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Ideas for my little reading nook

gwlolo
11 years ago

I have posted a few times about the reading nook in my DD's room. She is 8 and is a voracious reader. She also likes to play pretend and wants this place to be a hidey hole. We are doing bookshelves on the right wall (unfinished pine that will be trimmed to look built in. We had originally thought that the seating would be a deep and wide armless chaise and I got a lot of suggestions from this forum. But thinking more about it, I felt a built in Daybed would maximize the space for seating and lounging. As you can see, you would clamber on to the bed from the foot of the bed. Do you think that is a workable idea? I also thought of building morgue drawers with wheels to maximize storage under the space. I could ask for dividers to have separate sections for files for school paperwork, art etc., board games, off-season clothing and gear. One thought is to make the Daybed snug but removable(not permanently attached to the floor or walls). If we want to repurpose the space .. Like put a desk here instead, we can use it like a Daybed elsewhere.

The reading nook.. 67in length. 42in wide until the redwood post plus another 9in which will be the bookshelves.

We have nice window facing north with deep sills.

View from the window.

Please pardon the cheezewiz color on the walls. Repainting plans in the works.

Comments (30)

• pommy_girl
    11 years ago

Neat little space.
    This would have been my childhood fantasy, although I think it might well have been more of a nightmare for my mother!

Just off the top of my head...
    Don't daybeds have arms/head/foot boards of some description that you would have to clamber over?
    How will you make the bed? Even if it's just used for sitting on it will still need tidying up.
    Who will be putting all the books away that get left out (that would have been my Mom).
    the bookshelves will need organizing and dusting. Will you have to clamber over the sides of the bed?
    How are you going to open/close the window?

Having said that, I think there's potential for what you want, I'm just not sure the daybed is it. I hope you come up with something workable (and fantastical) for this wonderful little space.

• ohgoodness
    11 years ago

I love this nook I love what you are trying to do with it, but I think it would look best with a fitted solution. Perhaps you can build a box with drawers underneath the perfect size to fit with the bookcase then top with a custom cushion? Do you have an Ikea nearby? They sell a child's mattress for an extendable bed. The mattress can be made three different lengths. It is the width of a twin and the longest length it can go is to a twin but I'm not sure the other lengths. It may be very close to the 67" you need. I can't wait to see it when you are done!

• Related Discussions

Need help with an reading nook!

Q

Comments (6)
    With all due honesty, I had lots of comfy chairs in my last home where I lived alone, and almost never sat in them. I hung out on the couch and the only folks who sat other places were guests or me when I had guests. I agree with some other posters, spend your money on a kick butt couch, or even a high end futon. They also make futon chairs which can double for sleeping over guest if they are young enough to be able to get off the floor, lol! Whatever kind of seating I chose, I would make sure it could do double duty for some purpose I needed. However, I could be wrong, maybe you'll sit and sit in the new reading nook. The only chair I ever would sit in occasionally was my rocking chair, different vibe from the couch.
    ...See More

Master Bedroom Reading Nook

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi Michelle- Lovely room! Perhaps it's my monitor, but it doesn't seem as if the pillows on your chair really work with the color of your chair and the wall color. I think you can do better. Ditto with the pillows on your bed that should work with the wall color and your duvet . Your chair could use a nice throw with which you can cover your legs when you are reading. In addition, while the pictures over your bed are nice, they are too small. Just a few small tweaks, and your room will be perfect! Enjoy your hideaway!
    ...See More

Attempting a “ reading nook”

Q

Comments (9)
    I would use the cool cowhide chair there and move the wing chair over to the couch area (couch flanked by two chairs). No chair where cowhide one is now. Moving the wingback to the couch area will be another seat for watching TV, plus sort of give the definition of two distinct areas — the reading nook and the living room. In reading area: cowhide chair, pretty throw, footstool, floor lamp, no rug, use bottom shelf on wall for a drink, books, etc, or get a small table. I have a reading chair with lamp behind my main living area, about the same distance as yours. Love it. It’s cozy and the TV being on doesn’t bother me at all. Search ’reading chair by stairs’ or similar ideas. It’s a good way to use the space instead of just putting filler decor there.
    ...See More

Colorful cozy reading nook ideas needed

Q

Comments (1)
    What a great space to work with! I'd take your time planning out how you'll use the space and what you actually need there. If it was my space, I'd plan one or two ideas out. Either a large, ultra comfy, lounging chair in that space with a good reading sconce and some art work OR a record player space because I love listening to chill music while I read or work on my computer.
    ...See More
  • Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

I would build a bed up that sits up at the edge of the window. Add your bookcases and also use the bottom for her to hide in whatever fantasy evolves. Put a little ladder there to climb up and curtains to cover the "hidden hole" below and above. No electricity below, but there are battery operated lights that can work. I keep thinking Alice in Wonderland down the rabbit hole. With secret trunks of loved items and pillows. It would be teeny, but how many times as a child have we built a tent or used a box to hide in?

If the bed is on the floor, then a couple of doors with holes cut out, at least one to skinny through or peek out. Or curtains. There are day beds without sides, backs. And slipcovers that go over them.

Keep that window locked, and add a remote sound to it if opened. Is she going to sleep there or just a comfy corner?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Love the nook!

If I wanted a hidey hole, I'd want it to be a place to hide and I'd want it to be totally cushy. I'd want one of those giant bean bag beds (they aren't really made out of beans...not sure what they are) on the floor and then fill the space with some wedge pillows and multiple sized other pillows and maybe a throw to cover with...and I'd want a partition or even fabric hanging or drape coming off the wall on the near side maybe with a detachable tie back to create a real nook that is almost 4 sided instead of just 3....a real place of privacy I could call my own. Then I'd also want some wall hung or book case hung light fixtures for reading and night-time use. It'd be a fabulous space that just says crawl in and cuddle up with a good book.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Here's some wonderful inspiration photos from a pin board on Pinterest .... hope this helps! :)

As an avid reader myself -- I would love to have a reading nook with lots of bookshelves ... a good light or two and lots of storage for stuff ...

Love the idea of putting a desk there too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest board for reading nooks

• ttodd
    11 years ago

On my way out but just wanted to quick say what a wonderful spot for her! Our oldest son would be in heaven to have a private reading nook!

• farmchic
    11 years ago

I like the idea of a built in space with a custom cushion for a better fit and then you could add a curtain or a canopy to give her a more hidden cozy feeling.

• IRuehl
    11 years ago

Look on pinterest! That site is amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest reading nooks!

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Just quickly looking at this space, here is my suggestion.

Do a built in DEEP daybed at the end of the space. Perhaps from the wall, out to the edge of the window.

Have your built-ins incorporate the bed - so when she is sitting in the nook, she can lean up against the wall and the bookshelves are accessible to her from "inside" the nook. You could make it cushy with lots of pillows and stuffed animals.

You would also have bookshelves and drawers (too many bookshelves make for clutter) along the wall opposite the window.

Drawers can also go under the bed

Here is what I mean about the bookshelves "inside" the nook:

[Traditional Kids design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kids-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_24653~s_2107) by Atlanta Architect Soorikian Architecture

Obviously -- for you, the shelves to the left in this photo would be your window.

For added fun, you could always drape a curtain too....

[Traditional Kids design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kids-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_24653~s_2107) by Manchester NH Architect LKM Design

• camlan
    11 years ago

Oh, definitely the curtain. What a neat little hideaway that would make.

The more I look at the space, the more I want to put the bookshelves on the back wall. That would let your daughter lean against the wall on the right and look out the window. Then I'd build a platform, with or without storage underneath it, to fill up the space, and to lift anyone sitting on it up closer to the window. I'd get a thick foam cushion for the top and a bolster for the right hand wall and lots and lots of pillows.

• rosie
    11 years ago

I love the idea of a bed with lots of pillows in there. It's going to be wonderful. The only thing I'd suggest would be to raise it high enough that she can peer out the window of her special little space even when she's reclining.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think I would want the bed the opposite way from your proposal...what about an alternate way to do the bookshelves...more like this. Then you could use them to partially enclose the space with a curtain to enclose the rest. this would keep the books accessible-easy to vacuum them clean, etc. - they won't fall on her (I live in earthquake country, but they can happen almost anywhere). I, too, would want it built up to be able to see out the window, but would want that window secured and maybe with a bottom up shade so it would be private when needed and still get light from above.

{{gwi:1541495}}

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree that custom built-in solution as many of you have suggested will give us the best result. The bookshelves will be along the wall opposite the window and yes, you will need to stand on the bed to reach the books. Not the best for easy cleaning but we are willing to do it. I think if we do a custom builtin, then we can do it without a foot board so there is no railing to clamber over.

The window is about 3ft or so above the ground. I think it would be best if she can comfortably see outside the window when she is sitting on the bed. Definitely yes on cushions and lots of pillows. I was thinking about doing a custom 4-5in thick mattress (some online resources from other threads in this forum). So do I need a banquette type backrest or are cushions OK. I don't know if you can see this or not, but the wall with the window and the back wall are brick. Is this a job for a cabinet maker or could a finish carpenter do it?

Curtains --> What kind of curtain.. Just a simple fabric or should we look at the heavy velvetty ones?

Annie - Definitely cushions. But I want to have it off the floor. I will check out beanbag options but DH really wants it to be comfortable for a nap.

Janice --> We were thinking of making the bench/ bed fill the entire space (67x42)and not stop at the window. So basically, only way to reach the books is to stand on the bed. We thought the kids can then have enough room to spread out and play a board game on the bed. I wonder if we should make the bed shorter and stop at the window?

OlyChick - My nook is not wide enough to fit a bed such that one can access from the long side.. maybe I am missing something?

Camlan -> I thought about the back wall too and the bookshelf would block the window.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I was thinking you have 61" from wall to wall (if you put the bookcases on the outside like my example) which wouldn't fit a real bed, but was thinking 5' was plenty long for a child to curl up and read. It was just an idea for an alternative configuration.

Is you husband going to nap there, or does he mean for your daughter to nap?

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DD would nap:) We may occasionally sit with her to read a book together or play chess.

• demeron
    11 years ago

I have a windowseat with a built in bookshelf on one wall, a window, and (of course!) a curtain so you can close yourself in. Unfortunately the dog enjoys this space which is comfortable and commands a view of the front walk! I put an Ikea sconce in there, some family pictures, lots of pillows, and our very favorite books.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

When I was a young teen, and my dear mother was so accommodating, I put my mattress on the floor in my bedroom and had a bookcase on the side so when in bed I was surrounded on 3 sides and LOVED it!

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Demeron - I would love to see a picture

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pardon my very amateur attempt at mocking this up in paint. Small monorail on top. LED sconce on the wall. Bookshelves on the right with the one that lines up with the cushion as a flip down cubby (the idea being that the door when closed is better for leaning your back or propping a cushion). The top drawer is for games and is mounted on the bottom drawer box. The bottom drawers are morgue drawers with dividers and wheels under the box that go all the way.

This post was edited by GWlolo on Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 22:54

• marcolo
    11 years ago

You may need stairs to reach the proper height. You can put drawers right in the stairs.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Love the drawer in stairs idea.. Saw it once in an SF condo.. Very cool but i don't think i need it. The height to the window sill is 36". I want to have the top of the mattress/seat cushion to be atleast 8-10" below the sill. This is about the height of my bed. So the cushion will be at 26" and assuming 5-6" cushion, we are talking 20" total height for the drawers.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

What great ideas and the cheez whiz paint to start is not bad. I love the effect it gives the brick. I hope you will share the finished product photographs with us. I look forward to seeing it. Our son built such a space for his daughter, but he is an architect and he did not inherit his abilities from the maternal side, so I love to see what you come up with. I know it will be great.

• demeron
    11 years ago

Well, it's not very pretty at this point-- at some point I will ask the board to help me pull it together. But with a cup of tea on the windowsill and the curtains drawn it is super cozy. My husband built the bookshelves, I cut down an old twin mattress which at this point is wrapped with a blanket. JC Penney sells the track curtain rod which you can also get at Ikea. Some day I will make it wonderful-- the cushion in particular are not pleasing me, but as there are other parts of the house that displease me more urgently, this one will wait. Have fun constructing your space!

• geokid
    11 years ago

I think it looks comfy and cozy and a place I dreamt about having when I was a kid!

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love your window seat with the bookshelf. Here is our reading nook in the master bedroom. My inspiration was a window seat in one of Sarah Susanka's book (which is a craftsman in portland or seattle I think). I loved it the moment I saw it and as part of our whole rebuild, I had to fight with our architect to let me have a reading nook the size I wanted:). I will have to come back to this forum to figure out the cushions and other finishes.

{{gwi:1541497}}

• demeron
    11 years ago

Oooh! Nice.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I would utilize the back, smaller wall for the relaxing/reading/dreaming/watching the rain space~oh to be 8 again! Number 1, since she already has a bed in her room why go thru that expense? Number 2, sitting a further distance from the window strikes me as more appealing~hot, cold, glass, isn't a good combination.

A crib mattress might be the answer to use on the back wall~the length could work and width shouldn't be a problem at all. Get it off the floor with a box-like structure, or make something like *this* using pallets(you can usually get them free!)I'm all about making things easy. A heavy duty glue/adhesive would secure the mattress/base together.

It's such a cute space for a little girl to curl up~this little girl is green with envy! ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: *this*

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty cakes --> I like where you are taking this.. I know I will get a *really nice* solution if I go to a cabinet maker. What I am not sure is if I will get a good enough solution if I go to my $50/hr carpenter? That table is right up my alley and we have a lot of rough finish wood in our house. So the question is how can I achieve what I sketched.
    Can I get my carpenter to build something like the table you showed and get just drawer boxes on wheels? Are there premade boxes on wheels that I can use for the drawer concept?

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Lolo, Ikea could have something like what you're wanting, but you may gave to add the wheels, which isn't such a big deal. I'm a person who likes to challenge myself(and save $$$)so probably wouldn't hire a carpenter until I tried to do something myself.

My first thought was to find a coffee table w/drawers(craigslist),and it would hopefully be the same size of the mattress if it's an older style. That would be an ideal situation, no carpenter needed.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Something like *this* would be perfect! Really wouldn't need the mattress. Use foam with a couple of layers of batting over it, fabric, and staple to the underside lip of the table. Easy peasy.

Now go check out craigslist. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: *this*