SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Well, good news and bad news and question

15 years ago

The good news is my son came over tonight and loved my new stairs carpeting, the DR table and the chairs and their upholstery I did, and the flooring. That all made me really happy.

The bad news is he didn't love the wainscoting job I've been doing on the stairs and I've been working really hard on it (and having to take pain killers at night because of that).

I sanded the texture off the walls, but they're not all the way smooth. So I would recommend if you have textured walls and you want to do the wainscoting you put flat board over them first. Or you'd better be a lot better at sanding them flat than I was (and you can't go through the paper on the wallboard). So that's not so cool.

There are some real problems with working with masonite that have been driving me nuts and he zeroed right in on them without my saying anything, which was bad. Masonite has a way of looking a bit swelled up on the edges. I tried to sand the edges to smooth them down, but that seems to make the problem worse. And if you sand it on the flat face, you make it fuzzy and paint won't hide it; it will catch the light funny.

Another problem with masonite is it's really bendy... so if your wall isn't perfectly flat, it follows the curves and that accentuates the flaw.

So... he was honest with me and said what I'm doing isn't working.

But now I have these sanded off the lower walls so I can't exactly go back.

I have two choices now that I can think of... either I cover it below the chair rail with the beadboard wallpaper, or I cover it with some type of real panelling. The first would be the easiest and probably the cheapest (and yes money matters). The area doesn't get a lot of wear and tear because it's a staircase. And I honestly don't know what tools I have that I could cut the panelling with on an angle like that -- and the hardware store isn't going to rip on an angle for me.

So should I just do the beadboard wallpaper? Or what other ideas?

Comments (16)