SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicken_ingenue

good news bad news funny news

chicken_ingenue
18 years ago

I have such exciting news. My hen layed me its first egg. yesterday, and another one today. WHOO HOO. its so cute. I took a picture. It must have been a xmas present. I have been waiting for months for the first egg.

on the down side we had to get rid of the two roosters. Which I hated, they were so beautiful. but they had too much testosterone.

(you may or may not remember that I posted earlier that I was given the roo's and told they were hens until one of them started crowing. LOL)

I now know why you have to have 10 to 20 hens per ONE rooster. when my roosters matured they rode my hen too much. hubbie noticed before I did that they were hurting her. but I thought it was just nature. yesterday when I went out to clean out the barn she was acting really funny and was jumpier then usual and she let me pick her up which she never does and her back was a big ole open wound. I poured peroxide on her after I carred her in the house and got hubbie out of bed L. to show him. after that he couldn't sleep and drove out to the country to find a guy that he used to work with that said a while back that he would like at least one of my roosters to breed. so I hope they will go to a good home and he doesn't eat them they really are beautiful healthy birds. I hope my hen doesn't go into shock and die. but she seems ok. and she is laying me eggs still. I wanted to bring her in the house but of course hubbie wouldn't hear of it LOL. the other wild hens that I had were to smart for the roo's they flew up into the trees and stayed there for two whole days LOL poor baby she is too fat to fly she is a different breed.

I missed all the excitement though. we told the guy to come around first dark cause then you can just go out and pick chickens right up with no fight. but he didn't come. I had to work today all day and he came while I was at work, hubbie was in bed and went out to catch them in his PJ's. LOL The guy had brought a fishing net and there they are chasing these two roo's around the pen with a net hubbie in his Pj's the dog and the kids got in on the act the wild ones had come down from the tree and they are very loud and excitable, one got out the dog caught it for a short time. I like to think she thought she was helping because she didn't seem to bite down on it and it got away, into the woods it went but really she could have been thinking "lunch mmmmmm" and no one could find it. LOL hubbie called to tell me all this. by the time I got home it was back in the pen no one knows really when it went back in and it must be fine because it was high up in a tree. LOL I will try to get a closer look at it tomorrow. I hope I can get some more hens that are like baby not game chickens I can't get the gamey ones to tame. I think in the spring I will look into ordering some through the mail from a hatchery but I only want a couple and they may not be able to send me just a few. also the mailing fees for sending live game might be too much to consider. I would love to have some that layed green or pink eggs. L

Have a great Christmas everyone.

chicken ingenue

Comment (1)