SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stant98

Right thermostat, higher usage!!!! Why?

stant98
13 years ago

Hi All,

So I had new Honeywell 7600D thermostat installed for my all electric heat pump with aux. heat indoor unit system. The reason I had this done is because the old thermostat was wrong for my system: it not was designed for heat pumps (with aux. heat) and had been set up in a way that turned on compressor AND aux. heat every time during heating.

This Honeywell, however, works as it should, heats properly. Here is what I noticed though, the heating turns on much more often than how it had been with the old thermostat. I can feel the air coming out of the registers isn't quite as warm as before because only the compressor comes on and not with the heat strips as it did before. Also, this tstat appears to be designed to closely maintain room temp. and does not always allow for the temp to drop to -1F degree, hence it cycles on more often.

And here is the part where I've been quite surprised. The only reason I decided to get this tstat is because I'd thought that my electrical usage was quite high before mainly because the old tstat called for heat + aux. heat every time (wrong tstat). BUT, when I looked at the meter about 3 days after the new tstat was installed, I could not believe how much KWH it showed got used up since the installation.

I am talking on the last 24hrs where day outside temp have been in the 50's F and at night in the 30's F, the meter showing 140KWH used. That's quite unusual for my usage, which has been in the 40-50 KWH for 24hrs with the same weather just last week (with the old tstat).

What the heck is going on? It seems I was better off with my old RiteTemp 8022C tstat. By why such a drastic difference in the electrical usage?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH