SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffbacon_gw

Optimize Salt Usage on Fleck 7000sxt

jeffbacon
11 years ago

I'm looking to optimize the salt usage on my new water softener. I have done a bunch of calculations to try and figure out the right settings but I'd like to confirm with anyone with experience.

I also noticed that the water in the brine tank seemed very low after a regeneration so I suspect my Brine Refill time was too low -- though I'm not sure where I made the miscalculation.

Fleck 7000sxt, 2.5 cu. ft. resin tank.
Brine Line Flow Control: 0.25 gpm

• People in Household: 2 (I bought an over-sized system to account for future people living here)

Est. use per person per day: 75 gal
Water Hardness: 30 gpg (well water, no iron)
Target regeneration period: 8 days (set as the override value as well in case we use less water than estimated)

The resin tank would support up to ~75000 capacity I think -- I'd like to configure it for my required capacity to reduce salt usage.

Required capacity:
2 people x 75 gal/day x 30 gpg x 8 days = 36000
+ ~10% reserve = ~40000 capacity needed

Settings on the Fleck 7000sxt (that I have set):

• C: 35 (x1000)

• H: 30 (gpg)

• RS: SF

• SF: 10 (%)

• DO: 8 (override to regenerate at least every 8 days)

• B1: 10 (min)

• BD: 20 (min)

• B2: 0

• RR: 10 (min)

• BF: 20 (min)

I read that about 3 lbs of salt gets dissolved into a gallon of water in the brine tank. To make the math easier on me, I went with 6 lbs of salt per cu. ft. of resin (20000 grains of capcity per cu.ft. of resin w 6 lbs or salt use I think?) resulting in 50000 grains capacity in the system -- we will use more water in some parts of the year so I'm over-sizing a bit so I don't need to re-program it seasonally.
That means I need 15 lbs of salt to get 50000 grains of capacity out of my 2.5 cu.ft. of resin.
(can anyone confirm that?)

With a 0.25 gpm BLFC that means I should need 20 min for Brine Fill and Brine Draw (which should be the same timings right?): 15 lbs needed, 3 lbs salt / gal of brine water, 0.25 gpg flow rate into the brine tank
15 lbs / (0.25 gpm * 3 lbs per gal) = 20 min

I have changed the BF setting to 24 min for now to hopefully keep from draining the brine tank upon regeneration but if someone can confirm those settings or provide some alternatives that will be even more efficient that would be great.

... someone needs to write an online calculator for this info =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Calculation Tool (Excel)

Comments (7)