SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blessedmomof4_gw

Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck

blessedmomof4
9 years ago

Hi,

After doing some research regarding the above water softeners, I came across this site and have noticed there are some very experienced and talented individuals that offer their free expertise and I was hoping someone (non-affiliated) could offer me a bit of their knowledge or maybe guidance rather. So, to you folks and those who may respond, I want you to know I thank you so much for taking time away from your life to even read my post and/or respond.

After reading these forums I realize I need a comprehensive water analysis. I did purchase a small hardness test kit that only gave me a range once water was tested, and my result was in the 0-50 range. I also purchased a tds reader off the net that read my tds in ppm was 386. We have been having hard water issues such as faucets getting calcified and clogged, our humidier on furnace is ruined due to calcium, and our water out of the fridge has completely stopped working. Therefore, my husband and I have determined we are buying a water softer. I've had a rep from Culligan and Kinetico come out to our home, they viewed mechanical room in the basement then informed me due to the size of our home we needed a large softener. Culligan reccomened the HE series ($3095.00 + $175)with Aquasensor and Kinetico rep stated I needed the Premier S150 series ($2895).

After researching this forum I know I need a thorough water report, but here is my current readily available info-

3 Adults in home- occasionally 4 (2 are teens)
2 toddlers (1.5 & 4)
4 full baths (master bath jacazzi tub filled daily in winter)
0.5 bath (just toilet)
dishwasher (use once daily)
washing machine (use daily or every other day)
icemaker in fridge (not sure this even matters)
water sprinkler used in summer

tds in ppm- 386 (tool bought off net)
ph 9.8- per city water report
hardness 107- per city water report
I dont see any report of iron

water bill states "current read" at 852 (not sure if this is gallons??)
water bill states "usage" at 9. Going to call them tomorrow.

My main question is- what are the differences between the Culligan and Kinetico. I know one has single resin and the other is twin tank, one is electric and one isnt, if I remember right I think one is demand and the other is timed. But do they essentially regenerate the same, using as little salt/potassium and water? ( I will be using potassium) Are they both very efficient softeners? I am not as concerned about cost as I am efficiency. I would prefer not to waste a lot of water and use as little as potassium as needed, and it would be nice to not have to be married to a particular company for life but would do it if needed. It would also be nice to have at our fingertips information that is readily available (fleck) if in the dire event my husband would have to figure out what could be wrong and the ability to use various companies, but primarily I'm wanting a good quality product that will be efficient for our home and last a long time. Is there a fleck softener out there that is comparable to the culligan he or kinetico premiere s150. Does it even sound like those are the right softener for my household? I was ready to chose between one or the other as far as the large brand name, but then after research it occurred to me they didn't even test my water. Maybe I just appeared the naive and gullible person I can be. I just want whats best for my kids, house, and appliances.

I do have a couple of other questions, and I apologize in advance for not being more knowledgeable.

Would it make sense to only filter the water coming out of kitchen faucet to have good drinking water versus whole house? And if so, what type would be best? And are there several good brands?

Wouldn't it also make sense to bypass the outside water so that we don't waste money/potassium on watering our lawn with soft water during the summer? We may wash our cars and have a little tiny kid pool, but would it even make sense then?

Please let me know if I left anything out or anyone has any questions.

Again, thank you so much for reading and for those of you who spend your time answering questions for people like me. I apologize for not knowing more to make an informed decision on my own. May you be blessed in abundance for giving so freely of yourself!

Comments (35)