SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fotostat

Really newbish chicken prep and cooking questions

fotostat
15 years ago

I've recently bought a condo and moved out of my parents house. At the beginning I was eating out or take-out or fast food, but I would now like to start cooking on my own. I like chicken a lot and plan to cook it regularly, I would also like to lose some weight so that factors into the questioning. Remember, these are very basic questions so please bare with me.

1) I've been buying Purdue chicken breasts from the store, mostly the ones cut into cutlets ("Great for Scalopini" it says) or the tenderloins. They usually come in packages at around 1 lb. in weight. These packages are good in the fridge for up to the listed "Sell by" date? Or should I not wait that long?

2) If I freeze a package the day that I bring it home, after I defrost it, do I still have a few days that it could sit in the fridge?

3) Should I cook the entire package at once? Or after I open the package and wash off the raw meat, could I wrap some of it up and put it back in the fridge?

4) Since I live in a condo I don't have access to a BBQ. Trying to avoid frying I bought a nice Foreman Grill. Do I really need to put oil on the chicken before grilling it? It was recommended to me to put oil on, then seasoning. I've been using Steak Magic and Poultry Magic, I even tried some Lemon Pepper powder that tastes pretty good. I just hate adding oil if it's not necessary.

5) How long would you grill chicken cutlets or tenderloins in a Foreman Grill? The instructions that came with mine said 9 minutes (which seems very long since it cooks both sides at once). I've read on the internet that people said their Foreman Grill said 4-6 minutes for chicken breast. I cooked mine about 7 minutes, the meat was white (no red) and the juices were clear, but it was very juicy and tender, I am worried that I didn't cook it enough.

Thanks for any help? Feel free to add onto my questions if you'd like!

Comments (15)