SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

Boneless, skinless question

ruthanna_gw
15 years ago

This thread was inspired by reading caliloo's thread about the boneless, skinless chicken thighs and the "guck" factor. I started a separate thread because I don't mean this in a negative way toward Alexa or anyone. I am curious about chickens.

I just don't get it. There have been so many posts over the years about how chicken doesn't taste as good as it used to, it's flavorless, needs brining, etc. and yet cooks try to remove anything that gives it the flavor of a chicken. It seems like it would be so much easier to use tofu with some great sauces.

If you look at old recipes for chicken, the vast majority start off with "one chicken, cut in pieces". Now, I am certain that most cooks in those days were capable of skinning or boning chicken pieces - but they didn't.

Why do we want pristine, anonymous poultry slabs? Are we becoming closet vegetarians? I don't buy the healthy eating factor when the same boneless, skinless chicken breast buyers think nothing of grilling a steak exceeding the USDA 4 oz. recommended portion.

How did this trend get started and with all the back to natural foods movement, do you think we'll ever want skin and bones again?

Comments (9)