SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arley_gw

Skinless duck breast ideas?

arley_gw
12 years ago

I just finished making duck confit. Since I'm in an area where no markets sell duck parts (like individual legs), I had to buy two frozen whole ducks, thawed them, then cut off the legs and wings. Then cured the legs and wings with salt & pepper for a couple of days....

I skinned the carcasses, and cut up the skin to render the fat. Got a goodly amount of precious duck fat from that, and made the confit with the legs and wings--cooking the duck parts in fat at 180 degrees for 10 hours. (In case you're interested, the fat rendered from two ducks is just about right to cover four legs in a canning jar to make the confit.) I'm letting the confit ripen in the fridge for a few weeks before trying it.

I took the now-skinless breasts off the carcass, and they're sitting in the fridge. I made stock with the remainder of the carcass.

Most recipes for duck breast involve searing the skin. Since these are skinless (and don't have all that subcutaneous fat) I thought about cutting the breasts crossways and searing them like little medallions.

I don't want to refreeze the breasts because I would imagine that would damage the quality of the meat; still, I have four boneless breast halves sitting in the fridge that I don't know what to do with. I certainly won't let them go bad, and if need be I'll just cut them into strips and stir fry them.

Next time, though, I'll probably keep the skin on the breasts so I can cook them with the skin on, and confit the duck legs in coconut oil or olive oil.

Comments (12)