SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charterops

Trying to soften scratchy towels? Read my 'failure' try

CharterOps
11 years ago

Ok, so there has been a lot of talk about folks trying to soften their scratchy/harsh/stiff towels since about the time that the new HE FL's came on the market; coincidence? Maybe, maybe not; that can always be debated ;-)

However, I just wanted to post about my experience of what I tried this morning. I had a stack of clean white towels (nice to look at, but rough to the touch) which I thought I would try on the Sanitary cycle with white vinegar added to the wash. Keep in mind, that I did not add any detergent, so it was only hot water (157*) and vinegar and 1hr and 44min later; the load was done. The towels didn't really feel any different than when I put them in there; even though I did notice some detergent residue was eventually washing out during the wash cycle.

43-min later; done in the dryer on medium heat and surprise! They felt exactly like the other clean stack in the closet; still stiff, scratchy. It was pretty much just a waste of water, power and some time (I did manage to get my housework and vacuuming done during the whole experiment; so not a total loss)

Anyway, but I digress. I don't know if any of you folks have had luck getting your towels to soften up by using the Sanitary cycle. The worst part is that I recently bought some new towels from JCP; they were like the high-end premium ones. They were soft and fluffy when I first got them and I've followed the manufacture's care instructions and now a couple months later; they are now starting to get rough.

I don't think I ever had this much trouble with sheets/towels being like before I got my FL. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE my Electrolux washer; it does an excellent job but I just cant seem to get soft towels any more. Our water here in the Foothills of NC is 3.4GPG (on the border of slightly hard to moderately hard) at this moment- I have a water tester, so I get fairly accurate reading as compared to when I call the city and they tell me what they have currently.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my experience with you guys and gals out there in the laundry world who are obsessed with towel softness as I am ;-) Please feel free to post your thoughts, tips, tricks, etc...

Have a good one!!

Happy Homemaker in NC

Comments (27)