SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandm2007

Replacing an Oil Furnace... Still have some confusion...

dandm2007
16 years ago

Hello all,

I am a new homeowner, have had a house for 1.5 years, only one heating season. And now I am told by the oil company that the furnace has a crack in the heat exchanger and needs to be replaced. I got quotes with a few contractors and they tell me all different things. Any help to clarify the confusion and advice which direction seems more reasonable will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Sorry for the long post, here are all the details.

The oil company is Standard Oil of CT. I arranged a service appt to check/clean the equipment before the heating season (and it was not working very well last spring at the end of the last season). During the visit the technician told me the heat exchanger must be cracked/broken. He could not see the crack, but his tests show high level of CO going to the house, and also (I think) low pressure in the exchanger itself.

The furnace I currently have has been in operation for just 12 years. The house was built in 95, the furnace was manufactured in Â93.

I was told it makes no sense to replace the exchanger. ItÂs going to be the same cost to replace the entire furnace, plus I would have all-new equipment.

One complication is that the furnace needs to fit in a crawlspace, so it has to be horizontal.

Standard Oil quoted me horizontal Armstrong furnace for $4200.

Home Depot subcontractor quoted me $4850 for TraneÂs TAYWAR horizontal furnace. Now I am going to TRANEÂs website and I donÂt see this furnace at all... the only oil furnaces they show are XP80 and XV80, both vertical...

The third contractor has not given me the quote yet (they are a Carrier dealer). He started with a question: why did the furnace break so fast? He could not see the crack, but the heat exchanger is all rusted. He suggested that maybe it was not maintained properly, i.e. maybe the filter was all clogged and there was not enough air flow, and so the heat exchanger was operating under higher than normal temperature.

He also said the furnace is oversized (the house is 2300 sq ft, the current furnace is 113-123 thousand btu. He said I need roughly 40btu/sq ft, so may be up to a 100,000btu. Also, he said the nozzle I have, 1gal/hr, was too much. Indeed they had to pump 180 gal/mon during last winter).

He also pointed out that my A/C is at the end of life, so it may make sense to replace it as well while they are working on the furnace. I have an old R22 and he says the new system can be up to 40% more efficient, plus the rebates from the electric company (must be at least 16SEER though). Because the coil is in front of the furnace and they need to do sheet metal work anyway, replacing the coil will have almost no extra labor cost, just the cost of equipment itself.

Now when I asked HD contractor about the coil, he said it will not be a problem to replace the coil later, so I donÂt need to worry about it. He also confirmed that the furnace is oversized, and I need about 100,000btu furnace, and the one he quoted (TRANE) will come with the right nozzle (probably 0.75 gal/hr). However, he dismissed the theory that the exchanger constantly overheated since it would auto-shutoff if the temp went too high.

And all three are only giving me 1 year labor warranty. Standard Oil is giving me 1 year on parts as well (although on ArmstrongÂs website they are claiming 5 yr warranty on parts). On this forum people a talking about 5year, even 10 year warranty including labor.

Now I am really confused... Questions:

1. Does a Trane furnace justify additional $700 over Armstrong? (cannot factor in the third quote as I donÂt have it yet). Looks like IÂll also have a better warranty on parts. Also, HD offers 12 mon no-interest financing, and quicker installation since they donÂt need to order the equipment.

2. Does it make sense to replace AC now? I guess answer to this question tells me which contractor is more credible, which also affects who I want to go with.

3. Are the prices ($4,200K for Armstrong, $4,850 for Trane) reasonable?

4. Is it common to have just 1yr labor warranty?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Comments (13)