SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockshox

Replacing Oil Furnace is it necessary

rockshox
16 years ago

Hi,

I am looking to purchase this house in Wisconsin that uses an oil burning forced air. I have never had one of these before and am very tempted to simply change it to a natural gas HVAC. (House does have a gas line)

1. What is the opinion on this? Is there significant advantages to doing this? Or is the only advantage my own personal preference?

I am trying to make a rough guess with costs so I can plan that in my offer. I calculated the loads myself (i am an engineer) and a rough estimate will be around 70,000 btu. (it is a 1800 spft with 1400 spft finished one level with basement 47yrs old with updated windows and insulation) I do not remember the age or how the air conditioning system looked but I am going to estimate I need to replace that too and be happy if I don't.

I am guessing about $6500 for a 2-stage variable with minimal duct work required and 13SER airconditioner

2. Anyone have an idea how I could get a better ballpark estimate just based on my numbers (cause I don't yet own the house so an in-home inspection is not possible.)?

Thanks,

Comments (3)