SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiewp21

Installing a heat pump system in replace od oil furnace

maggiewp21
11 years ago

Hello. I am new to this forum and would really love some input about things to think about to put in a heat pump system in place of an aging and very expensive to run oil furnace (hot water system) in Central PA. We have an opportunity to purchase a house, but will only do so if we can get it at a price to make this change. I know it will be expensive, but for the right price, it's what I'd like to do. Currently utilities are running over $500 month for this house. (In contrast we are paying $200/month for a natural gas/heat pump system in a not much smaller house built in 1992). The unknown is how drafty the house is (built in 1980). Windows are original but all exterior doors have been replaced. If we can swing it, we'd like to put in a geothermal system (property is over 2 acres so thee should be room and others in this neighborhood have done so). Unfortunately there are no gas lines in this neighborhood, so that is not an option. Anybody have any advice or words of wisdom. The reason we are considering moving is because the house has some great interior features and sits on a great lot adjacent to green space. Otherwise we might just stay put. Thank you.

Comments (10)